Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

I feel like I should ask for permission to walk away from programming.

Started by 504ab9 Mar 4, 2012 at 1:26 AM 24 replies 4.9k views
Original Post
504ab9
504ab9
I don't like it anymore. I would like to try my hand at other things. My only reason(currently) for sticking with it is this foolish belief that I would be able to get a game on the Steam platform and make some extra money. Others have had success with Steam, but I don't care enough about programming anymore to follow in their footsteps. I'd like to blaze a trail in a different direction.

It has been such a long time though since 1999, I feel like I would be quitting. I just can't be bothered anymore. What do you think? (Que piensas?)
frankusthenerd
frankusthenerd
If you don't do it for fun it may not be worth doing. I program because its fun and because of the challenge. I believe thought that you may not have a project to focus your programming on. Programming can suck if there is no goal in mind. However, none of my goals have really been for money. I just like seeing people use my stuff. Making a little money though is ok but not a driving force behind my liking of programming. Sometimes when you have a skill and cannot find a use for it it sucks. If you are a carpenter but cannot think of a project to do then the skill is useless. The true challenge comes from accomplishing something. But my question is why did you start programming in the first place, was it just for money? Sometimes money can mislead people. Doing things for pure fun is what a hobby is about. F*** money you have to live too.
504ab9
504ab9
Well, I started programming to make games, but I have lost interest in games too. I still play for short periods, but I don't have much patience anymore to learn how to become a skilled player. I'd much rather do something else.
MrJoshL
MrJoshL
You might walk away from games programming, but there is still great money in other types of programming now, and more so in the future, with today's kids growing up to be more computer illiterate than your mother.
C dominates the world of linear procedural computing, which won't advance. The future lies in MASSIVE parallelism.
BeanDog
BeanDog
Almost everyone I know (my own company included) is trying to hire good programmers right now. So yeah, it's a pretty fantastic career path--if you're good at it, and passionate about it. If you aren't very excited about it, though, you're going to have a very boring, disappointing career.
504ab9
504ab9

You might walk away from games programming, but there is still great money in other types of programming now, and more so in the future, with today's kids growing up to be more computer illiterate than your mother.

Well, now that you mention it, with today's kids taking technology and soaring toward the stars with it, that lowers my interest even more. Watching them compete with all the flashy new apps and games, I feel the market is becoming, or already has become flooded. I don't follow the business side of mobile apps too heavily, but how can someone compete with kids selling their product for $0.99? I mean, I already don't want to do it, but if I were to brute force it, the end result wouldn't have been worth the effort.

I'd much rather learn how to do something else that I find enjoyment in, than chase the big bucks.
504ab9
504ab9

Almost everyone I know (my own company included) is trying to hire good programmers right now. So yeah, it's a pretty fantastic career path--if you're good at it, and passionate about it. If you aren't very excited about it, though, you're going to have a very boring, disappointing career.

I was forced into a career change due to the economic downturn, and I do not want to return to an office job. I was actually happy when I lost my job, it felt like a blessing in disguise.
FeeSchwandt
FeeSchwandt
504ab9, specify what you want to do. You don't want to do programming, does that mean you don't want to do something with computers? That you prefer manual work like a construction worker or a craftsman? Does it mean that you like computers but just not programming? Or just not programming games?

I also think that a market being inundated with all kinds of underpriced goods is discouraging. Every niche that promises you to get rich quickly is likely to be awash with goods. This is internet marketing, creating apps and creating websites.

Noone wants to be a construction worker as it contains risks and hard work, which is why there is a lot of money in it. I doubt that you have the body to be a construction worker in the first place, having been a programmer for so long.
Stormynature
Stormynature

I doubt that you have the body to be a construction worker in the first place, having been a programmer for so long.


All due respect sir, but that is one hell of an assumption.


I don't like it anymore. I would like to try my hand at other things.


The truth be told mate, It's up to you. If you are not happy then change what makes you unhappy. My only real advice make sure whatever you change though is what's making you unhappy and that said change will not make you more unhappy.
Lode
Lode

I don't like it anymore. I would like to try my hand at other things. My only reason(currently) for sticking with it is this foolish belief that I would be able to get a game on the Steam platform and make some extra money. Others have had success with Steam, but I don't care enough about programming anymore to follow in their footsteps. I'd like to blaze a trail in a different direction.

It has been such a long time though since 1999, I feel like I would be quitting. I just can't be bothered anymore. What do you think? (Que piensas?)


Is there something else you like instead? Is there something you're so interested in instead, that you're not interested in programming anymore? Or do you not like programming anymore, but don't know yet what you'll like to do instead? If so, good look finding it ...
megamoscha
megamoscha
To the OP:
I've had the same problem like you. I also don't play that often anymore as I used to in the past.

I've done other things in that time and now I can enjoy to experiment with some small demos now. Nothing special or something I could, or would, show to anyone because it is just basic bulls**t. But I can now enjoy programming as a hobby again.

How long do you have this feeling?

And like the others said: Do something that makes you more happy than programming. Maybe you get some ideas that you want to try and you can enjoy it again.
504ab9
504ab9

504ab9, specify what you want to do. You don't want to do programming, does that mean you don't want to do something with computers? That you prefer manual work like a construction worker or a craftsman? Does it mean that you like computers but just not programming? Or just not programming games?

I also think that a market being inundated with all kinds of underpriced goods is discouraging. Every niche that promises you to get rich quickly is likely to be awash with goods. This is internet marketing, creating apps and creating websites.

Noone wants to be a construction worker as it contains risks and hard work, which is why there is a lot of money in it. I doubt that you have the body to be a construction worker in the first place, having been a programmer for so long.


[color=#000000]I would like to try Film-making, Doll and Puppet making, and learning additional Foreign Languages. I'm not a construction worker. I work at a steel mill...so I guess that makes me a steel worker.


Is there something else you like instead? Is there something you're so interested in instead, that you're not interested in programming anymore? Or do you not like programming anymore, but don't know yet what you'll like to do instead? If so, good look finding it ...


[color=#000000]I would like to make parodies of my favorite action films. I have challenged myself to recreate my favorite scenes with only dolls and puppets, no human actors. Full action too, car chases, explosions, the whole deal. Thinking of this idea was the only thing that kept me awake at my previous job.
504ab9
504ab9

To the OP:
I've had the same problem like you. I also don't play that often anymore as I used to in the past.

I've done other things in that time and now I can enjoy to experiment with some small demos now. Nothing special or something I could, or would, show to anyone because it is just basic bulls**t. But I can now enjoy programming as a hobby again.

How long do you have this feeling?

And like the others said: Do something that makes you more happy than programming. Maybe you get some ideas that you want to try and you can enjoy it again.


I think I've felt this way since maybe 2005 or so. I do have some ideas that would be a real challenge, but when I really think about it, it seems like I'm returning to the safe route instead of exploring the uncharted waters that I described in the post above.
slayemin
slayemin
I think you only need your own permission to walk away from programming. You feel guilty because you've invested a lot of time and effort into it.

I think people who walk away from an MMORPG may have similar feelings of loss.
ddn3
ddn3
I think you need to step back from it. Obviously if your not doing this as a profession and rather spend your free time else where, there isn't any reason to hesitate. Programming like any other skill to become really good you need to put in the "work", there is a conjecture that to become proficient at anything you need to put 10,000 hours in practicing it. That means working 5 or more years professionally.

Like within any "skill" once you've reached a certain level, programming isn't really difficult you've move on to higher level tasks and algorithmic design. I would say that this point if we can make a comparison between programming and playing an instrument, you would be a virtuoso, and I think that's where it really becomes "fun" since your only limited by your imagination, ambition and time, though some people never reach this point..

Even learning alittle of programming will go a long way, the world is increasingly becoming a programmed one, people are expected to build spreadsheets, make flow charts, assemble virtual widgets, etc.. it's all programming in a different guise..

Good Luck!

-ddn
FableFox
FableFox
Dear OP, I understand you.

Programming, for me, is like an ex wife (funny coming from someone who haven't married, or even have a girlfriend yet - i know, i know, i'm looking :-) )
It was fun while it last. But thing happened. Lack of opportunity could be one of the reason. I don't want to complain, too long of a story. Anyway, these days CGI is my new hobby. And music. Just move on and enjoy the memories.
szecs
szecs

[color=#000000]I would like to try Film-making, Doll and Puppet making, and learning additional Foreign Languages. I'm not a construction worker. I work at a steel mill...so I guess that makes me a steel worker.

[color=#000000]I would like to make parodies of my favorite action films. I have challenged myself to recreate my favorite scenes with only dolls and puppets, no human actors. Full action too, car chases, explosions, the whole deal. Thinking of this idea was the only thing that kept me awake at my previous job.


That's pretty cool!

I tried things that were my life those times like, lets see...
Paper modelling, music (drummer in a progressive trash metal band), programming, mechanical engineering (still into it), drawing and arts, 3D modelling and rendering, living abroad and learning that language, simple animation (the pig in my avatar is the main character of a future one-minute-long animation) the latest is LEGO Technic building, probably some other I forgot.... At the moment I feel a bit empty, but something will come anyway, maybe travelling on foot or on bike? Fuck knows...
FeeSchwandt
FeeSchwandt
What l like about this thread is that it does not limit itself to computers, but takes everything into account that could be humanly done.

I am guilty of spending a lot of time in front of my computer. The reason for this is that I do not have a girlfriend, am not married, have no friends but a steady income. There is not much in the outside world that gives me so much joy as programming or other things that can be done on a computer. I know there is a very sad undertone in what I write but I make the best with what I want. I used to travel a lot cause I heard travelling was awesome. I found it to be boring and uninteresting, I visited all those places being called awesome and great(Dubai, New York, Sydney, ...), I walked around, visited all kinds of clubs talked to people but in fact in other countries it's no better than at home.

Yes I compensate having no social contacts with a lot of electronics. But as I said I tried out "the other world". I did not find anything as fulfilling as sitting in front of my computer. Most humans are leechers, they want entertainment and are always ready to leave when it's more entertaining somewhere else. I find that to be sad.
Anyway, these days CGI is my new hobby
CGI like 3DSMax also has a programming language, called Maxscript, which is quite good.
d000hg
d000hg

I don't like it anymore. I would like to try my hand at other things. My only reason(currently) for sticking with it is this foolish belief that I would be able to get a game on the Steam platform and make some extra money. Others have had success with Steam, but I don't care enough about programming anymore to follow in their footsteps. I'd like to blaze a trail in a different direction.

It has been such a long time though since 1999, I feel like I would be quitting. I just can't be bothered anymore. What do you think? (Que piensas?)
You don't have to program to be involved in making a game... hell even professional programmers often struggle finding time to get any programming done!

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.