Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

animals behavior

Started by guptan Mar 7, 2012 at 6:11 AM 3 replies 2.3k views
Original Post
guptan
guptan
I am making a wild life game in which animals are expected to do the following.
They wander most of the time in the jungle with terrain.
The animals will attack the player on sight follow the player closely to kill, it will avoid obstacles, but will not climb large slopes.

My question is: with out a waypoint graph or navigation graph on the terrain, can i make it.
Eg.I can make use of this techniques: http://www.red3d.com/cwr/steer/
IADaveMark
IADaveMark
For 95% of the stuff your animals will want to do, I would say that you can probably just use steering behaviors. The only time that will look bad is if the animal needs to determine a path around an object to get to the player. If your world is relatively open, that won't happen much.
Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit<
guptan
guptan
Thanks a lot.
guptan
guptan
Thanks, I will check it out.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.