Original Post
[media]
Dread is a top-down action / horror game where you can only see what your character sees. This creates an intense atmosphere, as the player is always guessing what is waiting for them around the next corner.
The game is currently in free Alpha stage, as I am a terrible artist and I'm using placeholders that I scrounged from free resources or put together myself. The engine itself is quite far along in development, and a lot of fun to play even with enemy sprites modified from RPG Maker 95.
I'm actually most proud of the included level editor, as the possibilities are nearly endless with it. The powerful trigger system it has allows the entire gameplay style to change from Doom (which is what the included level is modeled after), to Alien Swarm, to Resident Evil depending on the designer's preference.
I created the Alpha Trailer above to help recruit artists, and it is working wonders so far. I have several talented artists interested in helping out, so the next few builds should start seeing significantly improved graphics.
I'm looking for feedback, as this is a somewhat experimental game, so it can be hard to tell what needs tweaking.
Click here to download the latest build (v1.3.5a)
Check out the Dread Dev Blog for cool videos, and custom levels.
Screenshot from v1.3.5a
[/media]
Dread is a top-down action / horror game where you can only see what your character sees. This creates an intense atmosphere, as the player is always guessing what is waiting for them around the next corner.
The game is currently in free Alpha stage, as I am a terrible artist and I'm using placeholders that I scrounged from free resources or put together myself. The engine itself is quite far along in development, and a lot of fun to play even with enemy sprites modified from RPG Maker 95.
I'm actually most proud of the included level editor, as the possibilities are nearly endless with it. The powerful trigger system it has allows the entire gameplay style to change from Doom (which is what the included level is modeled after), to Alien Swarm, to Resident Evil depending on the designer's preference.
I created the Alpha Trailer above to help recruit artists, and it is working wonders so far. I have several talented artists interested in helping out, so the next few builds should start seeing significantly improved graphics.
I'm looking for feedback, as this is a somewhat experimental game, so it can be hard to tell what needs tweaking.
Click here to download the latest build (v1.3.5a)
Check out the Dread Dev Blog for cool videos, and custom levels.
Screenshot from v1.3.5a