Original Post
I've looked everywhere and I can't find a decent resource for this! I'm looking for a list of 2D top down (¾ view) platformer game mechanics as applied to tile-based/grid-based level design. Even 2D sidescroller game mechanics would be useful. Everything I've found on this subject is either extremely limited (to only one or two suggestions) or completely esoteric and inapplicable to practical game design (“what is game design REALLY?!?!?!”). I want a list that says things like...
destructible platform, one-way door, pressure plate, damage tile (spikes, poison, whatever), move tile (moves character in one of 8 directions), pit tile, attract tile (pulls character towards center of tile), repel tile, slow tile (slows character movement), jump tile, fall tile, etc.
I've been running through old games to research a few of these mechanics and elements manually but there's got to be an easier way! Thanks for the help in advance, but remember, I'm looking for a large list of these features that's organized and possibly discusses the use of these mechanics, not individual suggestions from forum members.
P.S. If there's a resource that lists and discusses action-adventure game elements, such as items, weapons, enemy behavior, etc., and their applications toward 2D gameplay, please let me know about it!
destructible platform, one-way door, pressure plate, damage tile (spikes, poison, whatever), move tile (moves character in one of 8 directions), pit tile, attract tile (pulls character towards center of tile), repel tile, slow tile (slows character movement), jump tile, fall tile, etc.
I've been running through old games to research a few of these mechanics and elements manually but there's got to be an easier way! Thanks for the help in advance, but remember, I'm looking for a large list of these features that's organized and possibly discusses the use of these mechanics, not individual suggestions from forum members.
P.S. If there's a resource that lists and discusses action-adventure game elements, such as items, weapons, enemy behavior, etc., and their applications toward 2D gameplay, please let me know about it!