Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Language for Web Games?

Started by Lxu Mar 14, 2012 at 10:56 PM 1 replies 1.7k views
Original Post
Lxu
Lxu
Hey there,

I'm new to game development, and I want to know whats the "best" programming language/engine I can use for game development for web.
I see a lot of flash games, but flash is not supported for all devices. May I use Javascript? HTML5? Or I will need to port my game to different languages so it can be executed on several devices?

Ty for any help.
Patrik Malk
Patrik Malk
It depends on what you want. Flash is the current standard for all major browsers. But of course it doesn't work on the iPad/iPhone and won't work on IE10 (Metro). If that is important to you then you can either build directly for that platform or you can certainly use HTML5+JavaScript. You could port your games, but don't underestimate the work that could turn out to be.

If you are more concerned with iPad/iPhone, then directly might be your best bet. HTML5+JavaScript is widely supported but does have its own disadvantages.
lmbarns
lmbarns
I like html5 for no plugins or Unity 3d if you allow requiring users to install a plugin. But I guess flash is supported by all browsers (that matter) now so hard to consider it as requiring a plugin, though it does.

Unity lets you publish to flash now even lol, in addition to the web browser, pc, mac, mobiles, and consoles. cool.png I've been using the android build and it's epic, 3d with accelerometer is awesome.

There's dozens of unity made mmo browser games, fusionfall, battlestar galactica, ruined online, etc might check some of them out to see how nice it is in the browser.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.