Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

I need to make a game. ANY GAME for beginners

Started by striderx240 Mar 19, 2012 at 5:07 AM 6 replies 2.6k views
Original Post
striderx240
striderx240
Could anyone recommend some resources that I could possibly use to help me program a simple game. So far I've only taken two C++ classes in college and I'm eager to make a simple game because right now I feel like I can only make random programs that serve no purpose. I'm still new at this, but any simple game would suffice, such as solitaire or snake would be cool. To be frank, It feels like I'm losing faith in the idea that I can program video games; when I look at source codes of other games such as Mario or Tetris clones I feel so flabbergasted at how someone can create that. Hopefully a simple game could boost my confidence.
AdrianC
AdrianC
Check out SFML. Since you've taken two C++ classes, it should be fairly easy for you to understand things, and you could have a basic prototype out within a few days.
TGibson
TGibson
I would say start with Pong. IMO that's probably about as simple of a game as you can get, and would be a great game to get your feet wet.

Next up, you need to choose which library or engine to use. The two big libraries for C/C++ are SDL and SFML. SDL has been around for a lot longer, and thus has a lot more documentation and tutorials on the net. SFML is a bit newer, but is still very well documented and the number of tutorials for it is growing. I would personally steer away from the engines for a bit until you have a bit of experience, but if you're curious/adventurous, just google "C++ game engine," there are a ton out there ;)

The hardest part of your experience is probably going to be setting up these libraries so you can actually use them. For SFML 2.0, this video helped me out a lot with setting up things in Visual Studio:
[media]
[/media]
A couple things might me different for SDL, but the general process should be the same.

Once you get over that hurdle, you can finally get to the fun stuff!
I haven't used SDL any, but I've seen these recommended quite a few times: http://www.aaroncox.net/tutorials/ He has one for the basic stuff, like setting up a window and using graphics and whatnot, and there are walkthroughs for creating Tetris, Pong, and Breakout.
SFML tutorials are a little more sparse, but they are around. Just be sure they are compatible with the version you're using, as version 2.0 is pretty different from 1.6 and below.

Just stick with it and I'm sure you'll pick up the basics real soon. smile.png It may seem daunting at first, but I promise you once you finish your first game, no matter how simple, it will be sooooo satisfying.
Aerodactyl55
Aerodactyl55
if you want to make video games then perhaps you sould start by learning how to output images(sprites) on the screen. Then learn how to move them. After that you should be able to make a simple game( pong or even snake ).
EpiC Nostalgia
EpiC Nostalgia
Making a simple game is even chore. A game isn't just about programming, FYI, it's about designing a game.

I'd say if you want a simple game you should make a text-based game. But if you're interested in making a graphical based game, then you're going to have to learn a library like SDL. I'd suggest that you stick to your primary gaming language, and then after you've made several games then you could move on to graphical games.

Even if you have your primary language down and know how to work with a couple libs, you still have to be good at creating stories, characters, monsters, quests, the layout of the game, how you're going to create the game step-by-step, artwork, sound, FPS, and a lot of other shit. Lmao.

You're going too fast, man. Of course you're going to program a lot of dumb shit that will never be used, but that's how you get better at something. Don't be one of the unlimited amount of kids who bitch about how they want to make a game and they know a week worth of information on programming... It's retarded. Stay strong and power through all of the idiotic stuff for the really fun stuff when you get better.
WillTice
WillTice
I second Pong. It's ridiculously easy to make no matter which graphics library you're using, and it can help you get the hang of things.

Just break it into little achievable problems- drawing a paddle, making it move, making a ball that moves, paddle-ball collision, and the opponent's paddle. You'll be done before you know it!
Telastyn
Telastyn
I seriously doubt that you've gone 2 semesters and have made nothing of consequence. Or somehow can't think of some trivial task you want to do in code.

A large part of being a programmer is taking problems and building solutions for them. Not beng able to see how practice problems apply to real world tasks is a warning sign; more than your lack of confidence.
AdrianC
AdrianC

I seriously doubt that you've gone 2 semesters and have made nothing of consequence. Or somehow can't think of some trivial task you want to do in code.

A large part of being a programmer is taking problems and building solutions for them. Not beng able to see how practice problems apply to real world tasks is a warning sign; more than your lack of confidence.


Meh, for my first two semesters in university, we just learned about variables, control flow, modules/some basic oop, and... that's it. I've finished both classes with A, so I definitely understood things, but I've learned 10 x more by studying by my self during the summer.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.