Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Aspiring Game Creator

Started by brokenpharoh Mar 30, 2012 at 11:38 AM 5 replies 3.4k views
Original Post
brokenpharoh
brokenpharoh
Hello I am currently researching info on game creation. At the moment I hope to create games on Xbox however I am following a book as a learning guide and it uses Open GL namely Tao and C# on visual Studios I have been following this book just hoping to get my feet wet in learning to program for games, however I am having trouble rendering graphics with Tao the said code is correct and references added etc. My program just runs and yields a black box which is supposed to change color but nothing happens. What I would like to know is whats currently the best mainstream graphics program to use with visual studios, and if possible a way to fix my issue with OpenGLControl so I could learn the concepts of programming from an outdated manual just for the sake of learning.
fightergear
fightergear

While learning is important it might not be in your best interest to be using outdated information, you could be learning something that is no longer supported on any platforms you are aspiring to create games for and have to start from scratch when you have just grasped a new language. I would look in to the programming language that Xbox supports/uses, which I think is C#. Also Microsoft release [color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]XNA Game Studio Express suite, which is essentially a framework for programming their games, I do not really recommend relying too much on framework applications, they sort of take away from programming yourself, but for the sake of learning the structure it may be good to take a look at it.[/font]

WhiskyJoe
WhiskyJoe
If you want to focus on the xbox, XNA with C# is pretty much your only option here. You will not be using openGL or DirectX for that matter (which I think the Xbox only supports, not sure though) unless you actually have the SDK, which you will only get if you're an actual developer.

If you don't mind the Xbox part and want to learn programming in general, you can always look up different tutorials on the net, or order some books. riemers.net comes to mind if you want some more C# oriented stuff (though only XNA and DirectX 9).
Programming020195BRook
Programming020195BRook
There are a lot of free resources for programming with C# and XNA. You should at least know the basics of C#, as you can get away with not knowing the advanced concepts and still make a simple game. Please note C# is OOP, so understand classes before starting.

XNA Sites I recommend:

http://xnaresources.com/ <- Start here!
http://www.xnadevelopment.com/tutorials.shtml
http://www.riemers.net/

For a quick recap of some C# basics: http://www.csharp-station.com/Tutorial.aspx
dragonalumni
dragonalumni
Black-Rook,

These sites are fantastic. Although I've just had a first look at them, I think that with this information I can give XNA another chance.
brokenpharoh
brokenpharoh
Much thx for the info it is helpful.
menyo
menyo
XNA is really awesome!

And as for your actual question, any graphics program your familiar with works, photoshop, paint, blender, 3Dmax, etc. You will have to save it to a compatible format for the program/game/engine your creating. XNA has a fully developed content pipeline where you can easily drag/drop and load textures/models into your game. Models should be converted to .x or .fbx and images could be .jpg, .png, etc.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.