Original Post
I know this has been asked 1000 different ways and had nearly a million different answers, but how do I get started? Is there a tool that I should use that fits my specific strengths?
Background:
I am a RPI graduate, with a BS in electronic media, arts and communications.
I work as a system administrator for a construction company for lack of a better term.
I would say i have medium to fair skill in: vbscript, vb.net, c++.
I am familiar with Maya, Photoshop, Final Cut, MS SQL, Gimp
I have done a few administrative things in Python, C#. (copy files, count files, move files, list files with certain ext, ect)
And I have tried to start using, but just cant get the ball rolling in: Blender, Unity 3D.
I took psych classes on Game Design (not video game just reg game theory), character design, and human factors in design.
I like to think I have a fair to strong knowledge on computers in general and networking.
The low down:
I want to get started. I have a friend with nearly no technical background who has a great passion for games. We have played around in map makers like forge and he always comes up with some good stuff, and we come up with great stuff together. I need to get him up to speed and take myself to the next level. I am also trying to do this on a $0 budget. I thought that I could just pull all my maya knowledge into Blender but it feels completely alien to me. Unity 3D seems great but I haven't committed because I am not sure if its the way to go. Gimp seems like a fair substitute for photoshop. Both my friend and I work full time and have children, I think it is something we could do, I just don't know how yet. Do we just get started with a GDD, and learn the tech stuff on the fly with our pet project?
Any help, advice would be welcome.
Thanks,
Background:
I am a RPI graduate, with a BS in electronic media, arts and communications.
I work as a system administrator for a construction company for lack of a better term.
I would say i have medium to fair skill in: vbscript, vb.net, c++.
I am familiar with Maya, Photoshop, Final Cut, MS SQL, Gimp
I have done a few administrative things in Python, C#. (copy files, count files, move files, list files with certain ext, ect)
And I have tried to start using, but just cant get the ball rolling in: Blender, Unity 3D.
I took psych classes on Game Design (not video game just reg game theory), character design, and human factors in design.
I like to think I have a fair to strong knowledge on computers in general and networking.
The low down:
I want to get started. I have a friend with nearly no technical background who has a great passion for games. We have played around in map makers like forge and he always comes up with some good stuff, and we come up with great stuff together. I need to get him up to speed and take myself to the next level. I am also trying to do this on a $0 budget. I thought that I could just pull all my maya knowledge into Blender but it feels completely alien to me. Unity 3D seems great but I haven't committed because I am not sure if its the way to go. Gimp seems like a fair substitute for photoshop. Both my friend and I work full time and have children, I think it is something we could do, I just don't know how yet. Do we just get started with a GDD, and learn the tech stuff on the fly with our pet project?
Any help, advice would be welcome.
Thanks,