Original Post
Hi everyone,
I'm not exactly a beginner (I do quite a bit of OpenGL coding), but I'd like some advice on skeletal animation systems and how they work.
This is not a post about the artistry involved - I have no questions about how Maya/3DS Max or other packages work.
My question is really, how do I use the following data to calculate the correct position of a vertex?
for each bone I have:
- a bind pose matrix.
- a function to get the local bone transform at a specific time.
for each vertex I have:
- a position (in model space).
- an array of bone ids.
- an array of bone weights (corresponding to bone ids).
How do I go about transforming the vertex using that info?
Could someone please also explain what exactly the bind pose is used for? I've read a few documents about this, but none are very clear.
I've been stuck on this for a few days - so if I could finally understand it, it would be great.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
I'm not exactly a beginner (I do quite a bit of OpenGL coding), but I'd like some advice on skeletal animation systems and how they work.
This is not a post about the artistry involved - I have no questions about how Maya/3DS Max or other packages work.
My question is really, how do I use the following data to calculate the correct position of a vertex?
for each bone I have:
- a bind pose matrix.
- a function to get the local bone transform at a specific time.
for each vertex I have:
- a position (in model space).
- an array of bone ids.
- an array of bone weights (corresponding to bone ids).
How do I go about transforming the vertex using that info?
Could someone please also explain what exactly the bind pose is used for? I've read a few documents about this, but none are very clear.
I've been stuck on this for a few days - so if I could finally understand it, it would be great.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!