Original Post
I'm playing around with WM_INPUT, but am getting an issue where I can't drag or resize my window on my desktop computer (it's fine in a VM or on my laptop). It looks as if my app gets flooded with WM_INPUT messages for a while after I move my mouse, and then stops, and during that flood I can't drag/resize and I get the Windows loading spinner icon. Setting the polling rate of my Logitech G5 in SetPoint to 1000Hz makes it worse; setting it to 125Hz isn't too bad but it's still there. Note: I tried my mouse on my laptop too, but since I don't have SetPoint installed on it, it doesn't exhibit this behaviour.
Should I be handling WM_INPUT separately to the rest of my app? I've got some basic code which shows this problem when you have a high-frequency mouse:
Should I be handling WM_INPUT separately to the rest of my app? I've got some basic code which shows this problem when you have a high-frequency mouse:
#include <windows.h>
#include <gl/gl.h>
#include <gl/glu.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include "console.h"
HWND hWnd;
HDC hDC;
HGLRC hRC;
// Set up pixel format for graphics initialization
void SetupPixelFormat()
{
PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR pfd, *ppfd;
int pixelformat;
pfd = &pfd
ppfd->nSize = sizeof(PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR);
ppfd->nVersion = 1;
ppfd->dwFlags = PFD_DRAW_TO_WINDOW | PFD_SUPPORT_OPENGL | PFD_DOUBLEBUFFER;
ppfd->dwLayerMask = PFD_MAIN_PLANE;
ppfd->iPixelType = PFD_TYPE_COLORINDEX;
ppfd->cColorBits = 16;
ppfd->cDepthBits = 16;
ppfd->cAccumBits = 0;
ppfd->cStencilBits = 0;
pixelformat = ChoosePixelFormat(hDC, ppfd);
SetPixelFormat(hDC, pixelformat, ppfd);
}
// Initialize OpenGL graphics
void InitGraphics()
{
hDC = GetDC(hWnd);
SetupPixelFormat();
hRC = wglCreateContext(hDC);
wglMakeCurrent(hDC, hRC);
glClearColor(0, 0, 0, 0.5);
glClearDepth(1.0);
glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);
}
// Resize graphics to fit window
void ResizeGraphics()
{
// Get new window size
RECT rect;
int width, height;
GLfloat aspect;
GetClientRect(hWnd, ▭);
width = rect.right;
height = rect.bottom;
aspect = (GLfloat)width / height;
// Adjust graphics to window size
glViewport(0, 0, width, height);
glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
glLoadIdentity();
gluPerspective(45.0, aspect, 1.0, 100.0);
glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
}
// Draw frame
void DrawGraphics()
{
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);
// Set location in front of camera
glLoadIdentity();
glTranslated(0, 0, -10);
// Draw a square
glBegin(GL_QUADS);
glColor3d(1, 0, 0);
glVertex3d(-2, 2, 0);
glVertex3d(2, 2, 0);
glVertex3d(2, -2, 0);
glVertex3d(-2, -2, 0);
glEnd();
// Show the new scene
SwapBuffers(hDC);
}
// Handle window events and messages
LONG WINAPI MainWndProc (HWND hWnd, UINT uMsg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam)
{
switch (uMsg)
{
case WM_MOUSEMOVE:
//printf("\nMouse Move message received\n");
return 0;
break;
case WM_INPUT:
// printf("\nInput message received %d", rand());
return 0;
break;
case WM_SIZE:
ResizeGraphics();
break;
case WM_CLOSE:
DestroyWindow(hWnd);
break;
case WM_DESTROY:
PostQuitMessage(0);
break;
// Default event handler
default:
return DefWindowProc (hWnd, uMsg, wParam, lParam);
break;
}
return 1;
}
int WINAPI WinMain (HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow)
{
SetStdOutToNewConsole();
const LPCWSTR appname = TEXT("OpenGL Sample");
WNDCLASS wndclass;
MSG msg;
// Define the window class
wndclass.style = 0;
wndclass.lpfnWndProc = (WNDPROC)MainWndProc;
wndclass.cbClsExtra = 0;
wndclass.cbWndExtra = 0;
wndclass.hInstance = hInstance;
wndclass.hIcon = LoadIcon(hInstance, appname);
wndclass.hCursor = LoadCursor(NULL,IDC_ARROW);
wndclass.hbrBackground = (HBRUSH)(COLOR_WINDOW+1);
wndclass.lpszMenuName = appname;
wndclass.lpszClassName = appname;
// Register the window class
if (!RegisterClass(&wndclass)) return FALSE;
//Calculate x and y coords of where window should be
int dwWidth = GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXSCREEN);
int dwHeight = GetSystemMetrics(SM_CYSCREEN);
dwWidth /= 2;
dwWidth -= (800/2);
dwHeight /= 2;
dwHeight -= (600/2);
// Create the window
hWnd = CreateWindow(
appname,
appname,
WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW | WS_CLIPSIBLINGS | WS_CLIPCHILDREN,
dwWidth,
dwHeight,
800,
600,
NULL,
NULL,
hInstance,
NULL);
if (!hWnd) return FALSE;
RAWINPUTDEVICE Rid[1];
Rid[0].usUsagePage = 0x01;
Rid[0].usUsage = 0x02;
Rid[0].dwFlags = RIDEV_INPUTSINK;
Rid[0].hwndTarget = hWnd;
RegisterRawInputDevices(Rid, 1, sizeof(Rid[0]));
// Initialize OpenGL
InitGraphics();
// Display the window
ShowWindow(hWnd, nCmdShow);
UpdateWindow(hWnd);
// Event loop
while (1)
{
if (PeekMessage(&msg, NULL, 0, 0, PM_NOREMOVE) == TRUE)
{
if (!GetMessage(&msg, NULL, 0, 0)) return TRUE;
TranslateMessage(&msg);
DispatchMessage(&msg);
}
DrawGraphics();
}
wglDeleteContext(hRC);
ReleaseDC(hWnd, hDC);
}