Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

What does the car accelerator do (in game dev)

Started by clarko Apr 22, 2012 at 12:33 AM 0 replies 1.5k views
Original Post
clarko
clarko
Hi everyone.

I am enjoying making a top down car and I am new to physics and maths.

A very simple question:

I am looking at RPM, Torque and Horsepower.


Torque will be applied to the wheels? So torque seems to be a product (something that comes later).


That leaves me with RPM and Horsepower.


When I press UP on the keyboard, should I be increasing the RPM, the Horsepower or some crazy combination of both? I have "dynamo curves" and stuff for my car, and I need to deal with gearing....


But I just do not understand the input in order to get my engine to make some power. Been on this for 8 days.

If you could help point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.


Thanks for reading.


EDIT is another dude with the same question and the best answer so far: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/554964-car-acceleration/

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.