Original Post
Hi!
I'm programming cascaded shadow maps for outdoor lighting. I'm following this opengl example:
http://developer.dow...shadow_maps.pdf
You can find the code here:
http://developer.dow...gl/samples.html
Code is pretty self [color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]explanatory but I have a question. [/background][/font]
I'm programming cascaded shadow maps for outdoor lighting. I'm following this opengl example:
http://developer.dow...shadow_maps.pdf
You can find the code here:
http://developer.dow...gl/samples.html
Code is pretty self [color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]explanatory but I have a question. [/background][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][color=#000000]In order to get the near and far plane for every frustum, code says that we have to [/font]make sure that all relevant shadow casters are included into one unique shadow map. I mean when computing the farPlane and the near plane that define the current shadow map's frustum, if half an object is at one side of the far plane and the other part is at the other side, we have to recompute the farPlane to make sure that the object is completely inside one unique frustum.
Is that really necessary if we want to implement cascaded shadow maps? because to me that's a a pain in the neck. what if I skip that part of the algorithm?
Thanks
Is that really necessary if we want to implement cascaded shadow maps? because to me that's a a pain in the neck. what if I skip that part of the algorithm?
Thanks