Original Post
Hello Everybody,
I have loved games since I was about 5 years old (1985), been playing games since then and lived through the evolution of gaming! Now I decided that I can try to chase my passion so that I can get into a career that I will enjoy for the rest of my life. Right now I'm doing programming tutorials on cplusplus.com I went to University for programming about 7 years ago so I'm a little rusty but I think I can manage. My problem is drawing, I don't know how to draw objects on the screen, I'm hoping the great folks here can guide me to a tutorial for creating 2d games. I would like to make a zelda type of game. I want to start simple so I'm hoping the guide will show me how to draw things and manipulate them.
Something along the lines of:
Tutorial 1: Game Loop
Tutorial 2: Painting the screen
Tutorial 3: Making objects
etc
Is there such thing? I usually learn from recreating examples but with through explanations I don't cut and paste I like to type everything out manually I find that I can learn how to code better that way, and as long as I can go back to the webpage I can reference things I might forget or want to learn/understand the theory of the code given to me.
Does anybody have any good C++ game programming site that will have a simple tutorial that I can try to use to actually start making my own games?
I would like you all to pretend I've never done any game programming (seriously a for dummies guide type of thing).
I have loved games since I was about 5 years old (1985), been playing games since then and lived through the evolution of gaming! Now I decided that I can try to chase my passion so that I can get into a career that I will enjoy for the rest of my life. Right now I'm doing programming tutorials on cplusplus.com I went to University for programming about 7 years ago so I'm a little rusty but I think I can manage. My problem is drawing, I don't know how to draw objects on the screen, I'm hoping the great folks here can guide me to a tutorial for creating 2d games. I would like to make a zelda type of game. I want to start simple so I'm hoping the guide will show me how to draw things and manipulate them.
Something along the lines of:
Tutorial 1: Game Loop
Tutorial 2: Painting the screen
Tutorial 3: Making objects
etc
Is there such thing? I usually learn from recreating examples but with through explanations I don't cut and paste I like to type everything out manually I find that I can learn how to code better that way, and as long as I can go back to the webpage I can reference things I might forget or want to learn/understand the theory of the code given to me.
Does anybody have any good C++ game programming site that will have a simple tutorial that I can try to use to actually start making my own games?
I would like you all to pretend I've never done any game programming (seriously a for dummies guide type of thing).