Original Post
I am confused about enumerating adapters/display modes, and switching to/from fullscreen/windowed in a multi-monitor environment.
First of all, how should my game start up? I haven't really played any PC games since around 2004 - back when most people had 1 monitor and it was 4:3 aspect ratio. Back then, a game would start up in fullscreen, 640x480 (because just about any monitor/adapter would support it), and you could change to a higher resolution through the menus.
What is the typical way this is handled these days? I can't just pick a typically-supported low resolution, because I don't know if the monitor is widescreen. It would look pretty amateur to start up in a 4:3 aspect ratio on a 16:9 monitor and have the image be stretched.
Also, what choices do you display in your graphics options? Suppose I have two monitors - monitor 1 and monitor 2. Let's say the user has gone into windowed mode, and drags the window around. How do I know which monitor the window is on? (It could even be spanning 2 monitors). I would have to be able to hide display modes that the current monitor can't display.
I suppose I could just download the demo of a modern game and look at their graphics options.
First of all, how should my game start up? I haven't really played any PC games since around 2004 - back when most people had 1 monitor and it was 4:3 aspect ratio. Back then, a game would start up in fullscreen, 640x480 (because just about any monitor/adapter would support it), and you could change to a higher resolution through the menus.
What is the typical way this is handled these days? I can't just pick a typically-supported low resolution, because I don't know if the monitor is widescreen. It would look pretty amateur to start up in a 4:3 aspect ratio on a 16:9 monitor and have the image be stretched.
Also, what choices do you display in your graphics options? Suppose I have two monitors - monitor 1 and monitor 2. Let's say the user has gone into windowed mode, and drags the window around. How do I know which monitor the window is on? (It could even be spanning 2 monitors). I would have to be able to hide display modes that the current monitor can't display.
I suppose I could just download the demo of a modern game and look at their graphics options.