Original Post
[color="#333333"]I want to use textures on quads in my game instead of an actual model (for the HUD), so what I currently do is I make a quad, draw the texture on to it, and then rotate it a bit. However, this gives the impression that the tool is flat and 2D, and doesn't have any width to it.
[color=#333333]The best example I can think of is probably Minecraft. If you hold a tool in Minecraft (such as a pickaxe), the texture is drawn and it has an "edge". The color of the edge isn't just a random color, but rather it is about the same color of the edge on the actual face of the tool.
[color="#333333"]Images:
[color=#333333]Edge highlighted:
[color=#333333]
[color=#333333]Full image:

[color=#333333]How can I do this with XNA?
[color="#333333"]As stated before, I currently construct a quad and render an image to it.
[color=#333333]The best example I can think of is probably Minecraft. If you hold a tool in Minecraft (such as a pickaxe), the texture is drawn and it has an "edge". The color of the edge isn't just a random color, but rather it is about the same color of the edge on the actual face of the tool.
[color="#333333"]Images:
[color=#333333]Edge highlighted:
[color=#333333]

[color=#333333]Full image:

[color=#333333]How can I do this with XNA?
[color="#333333"]As stated before, I currently construct a quad and render an image to it.