Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

XNA 3D Level Editor

Started by Firefly08 May 11, 2012 at 8:01 PM 6 replies 7k views
Original Post
Firefly08
Firefly08
[color=#526569][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[background=rgb(244, 247, 245)]Hello,[/background]

[/font]

[color=#526569][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

I have finally gotten around to creating a codeplex project for the 3D level editor I have been building, hopefully it will be of use to some of you! Check it out here.

[/font]

[color=#526569][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Already it should be usable, with options to import and place models as well as edit terrain height maps! Let me know what you think!

[/font]

Moe
Moe
Very nice! Kudos to you for making it and releasing it. I think I might have to try it out this weekend.
Firefly08
Firefly08
Thanks, If you get a chance let me know what you think!
Firefly08
Firefly08
Now includes support for generating, saving and loading colour maps! As it stands the current features are:

  • Undo / Redo.
  • Working Scale, Rotate and Translate gizmo.
  • Common selection methods (Drag box, shift click, Ctrl+A etc).
  • Saving / loading of levels.
  • Importing models on the fly. (Models automatically get added to your visual studio project).
  • Support for loading and saving height and colour maps.
  • Tools to raise, lower, smooth, create ramps and paint the terrain.
  • Colour map generation based on terrain normals.
jischneider
jischneider
Great!!! I will try it tonight. Thanks for share.
[size=1]Project page: [size=1] <[size=1] XNA FINAL Engine[size=1] [size=1] >
Firefly08
Firefly08
The project is now in what I feel like is a stable state with only a few bugs and some low priority stuff to change and so I would like to start on either improving existing features or adding some new ones.

As I would like this project to be as useful to the community as possible I wondered if anyone had any suggestions? I would like to try and keep the editor as generic as possible so that it does not require people to use a specific engine (e.g there would be no point adding water support as every project will be handling this differently and will need specific tools).
IndignatoSpeciale
IndignatoSpeciale
Hi Firefly08, i see your 3d editor and is exactly my goal.
I'm working in the game modding and untill now i create only tool with Python and 3dstudio script for Total War games.

Unfortunately 3dstudio is too slow when i want manage city with 1-2 milion vertices and i can't add some special 3d objects representations that can not be made such as primitive geometry (spline mesh ecc...). So i decided to start with dotnet script but too hard work with 3dstudio plugin.... Working with C# is much faster and i can write better some algorithm (Octree , Best Bounding Box, ecc...)

A few months ago I started understand Directx but i see that XNA is better...so my goal now is create a 3d editor to manage and edit the city file of this game, not edit mesh and geometry because to do this i simply use 3dstudio.

If you are interested to help me to create an game tool let me know. Thanks anyway.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.