Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

How to load a 3d model

Started by LiquidLeon May 14, 2012 at 9:54 PM 5 replies 1.8k views
Original Post
LiquidLeon
LiquidLeon
Hello everyone,

I wanted to get into graphics programming (so far I have a little knowledge about openGL) , but I am not a very good programmer (or in order words I am not very advanced).

What I would like to do at this point is make a simple primitive from a 3d software (take your pick: Maya, 3ds Max, etc) and load it into my program. What I found was that this is a very complex technique and requires a lot of knowledge and detail about mathematics, multi-dimensional arrays, operation overloading, etc.

What I wanted to know is there a a graphics library, or graphics programming language were there is a simply pre-made function: (for example load3dModel(cube.xxx) ) and it will just load the model?
VildNinja
VildNinja
Yes, try Ogre or Irlicht. These libraries wont help you to become better at OpenGL, but they will do the graphics for you. If you're not using c++ just say what language you are using.
LiquidLeon
LiquidLeon
I am using C++, but I am open to any programming languages that makes graphics program a little easier
VildNinja
VildNinja
Well if you just want some thing that can draw 3D models I would recommend Irlicht or Ogre. But if you want an entire game engine, where you only need to program the game logic I would recommend you to try using Unity3D - asuming you are using Windows or Mac
cignox1
cignox1
The easier way (by far) is to pick one of the many 3ds or obj loaders out there. That will make you able to load simple objects created in Blender or in the 3d package of your choice.

I also suggest to try Assimp, which supports several formats.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.