Original Post
Hello GameDevs!
This is my first post here, so thanks for stopping by!
I am newbi to this group, but a programming professional since more than a decade.
I am a recent entrant into gaming, and have couple of game ideas to publish on my own.
I have been researching the net for obvious questions - have tried half a dozen mobile game IDEs so far, and still unsure if I am missing something crucial here.
Can anyone lead me into proper direction?
1) I have a very simple game idea.
Does not require much graphics but simple view-only DB operations (can be handled through flat file too, but the content should be private)
With my experience so far, I can do it in any language - be it c++, C#, javascript or Lua - looking at the online resources so far.
As for Game IDEs, I know Unity 3d (toughest), Shiva 3d (OK for me), Eclipse (OK for me) and Titanium (bit awkward structure, also, can't get how much it costs for pro version)
2) I want to publish on iPhone platform first. Later I may choose to publish on Android too.
I want to minimize my development efforts.
I don't have mac, neither I am intending to buy it.
I have 2 windows PCs - xp and Vista
(Lately I have been reading that there are services that allow you to compile against mac and publish it, but I need specific details)
3) Last but not the least - I want to minimize my costs - at least until I make a break-even revenue with my game.
Questions:
a) What is the best IDE to go for, which will require me to do minimal coding, and the app will be ready with just some drag-drops and event handlers?
b) Will this IDE allow me to create
- iPhone app on my windows box - if not, how much is the minimum cost to get it done?
- android app on my windows box
c) What is the total cost involved including hardware, licensing and publishing?
- considering iPhone as the only target
- considering iPhone + Android both
I think anyone who has been through this phase definitely knows where I am, and what's best for me.
Specific answers, please, as I have searched and googled too much, and I am tired with answers like "it depends on how you want to do it" sort of stuff!
Thanks to all in advance for reading me this far :-)
-vividcode
This is my first post here, so thanks for stopping by!
I am newbi to this group, but a programming professional since more than a decade.
I am a recent entrant into gaming, and have couple of game ideas to publish on my own.
I have been researching the net for obvious questions - have tried half a dozen mobile game IDEs so far, and still unsure if I am missing something crucial here.
Can anyone lead me into proper direction?
1) I have a very simple game idea.
Does not require much graphics but simple view-only DB operations (can be handled through flat file too, but the content should be private)
With my experience so far, I can do it in any language - be it c++, C#, javascript or Lua - looking at the online resources so far.
As for Game IDEs, I know Unity 3d (toughest), Shiva 3d (OK for me), Eclipse (OK for me) and Titanium (bit awkward structure, also, can't get how much it costs for pro version)
2) I want to publish on iPhone platform first. Later I may choose to publish on Android too.
I want to minimize my development efforts.
I don't have mac, neither I am intending to buy it.
I have 2 windows PCs - xp and Vista
(Lately I have been reading that there are services that allow you to compile against mac and publish it, but I need specific details)
3) Last but not the least - I want to minimize my costs - at least until I make a break-even revenue with my game.
Questions:
a) What is the best IDE to go for, which will require me to do minimal coding, and the app will be ready with just some drag-drops and event handlers?
b) Will this IDE allow me to create
- iPhone app on my windows box - if not, how much is the minimum cost to get it done?
- android app on my windows box
c) What is the total cost involved including hardware, licensing and publishing?
- considering iPhone as the only target
- considering iPhone + Android both
I think anyone who has been through this phase definitely knows where I am, and what's best for me.
Specific answers, please, as I have searched and googled too much, and I am tired with answers like "it depends on how you want to do it" sort of stuff!
Thanks to all in advance for reading me this far :-)
-vividcode