Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

CPU lost some pins :(

Started by Daggerbot May 18, 2012 at 3:06 AM 11 replies 3.9k views
Original Post
Daggerbot
Daggerbot
While "helping" a friend upgrade his computer, we managed to break two pins off of the CPU. I've been looking around for a socket AM3 pinout, so we can determine if by some chance these pins aren't used for anything, but I can't find any such information. Does anyone have access or know where I can find a datasheet that would have this information? Any help is appreciated.
Daggerbot
Daggerbot
Could it potentially damage the motherboard if we try the CPU with these pins missing? If not, I think it would be worth trying anyway.
ApochPiQ
ApochPiQ
I doubt it would cook anything, but I'd be extremely shocked if the thing worked without a couple of pins.
SimonForsman
SimonForsman
Just reattach them with this

On a serious note though, you're unlikely to damage the MB, for AM3 sockets however the cpu is likely to be far cheaper than the MB so its probably a better idea to just get a new CPU rather than risking anything, (the odds that it will work properly without those pins is very small and the risk of damaging your MB is probably greater than 0)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Promit
Promit
I've seen very skilled electronics guys solder those pins back on, as crazy as that sounds. It may be worth something as parts, or you may be able to use it if you can find someone with such skills.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Nik02
Nik02
If you go the soldering route, get as fine and delicate soldering iron as possible. The connectors are not meant to be soldered directly (that's why there is the CPU socket on the MB), but as Promit says, it is possible. The job also requires a very steady hand, and experience in how the materials involved react to the heat - so if you're a beginner, forget it.

That said, the easiest way would be to just get a new CPU.
Niko Suni
rip-off
rip-off
Computers could be more robust than one would think. A friend of mine was messing with his system and accidentally started it without a CPU heatsink. Apparently smoke was billowing before he realised the mistake. As he tells the story, he left it cool down, put a heatsink on top of the (blackened) CPU, and it has worked since.
Luckless
Luckless
I've always wondered why more systems don't go with a Pad-Pin-Pad setup. I've seen them in a handful of industrial designs, and they were amazing. Bend a pin on something important? Curse a little, toss the plastic pin array in a bin, climb down your ladder, and go grab a spare from the box.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
frob
frob
With the ZIF sockets that have been used since the mid-90's, I'm surprised you would ever need enough force to bend or break the pins.

I'd take it as a learning experience and buy a new chip.
Johannes1991
Johannes1991
Maybe some pictures could help us determine? or it's may just me
EnJOJ Gaming
Madhed
Madhed
How did you manage to break some pins of a cpu? I demand more info.

And pics...biggrin.png
nagromo
nagromo
Modern processors have dozens of power and ground pins. If the pins that broke were both power or ground and there were enough other power/ground pins nearby, it will probably work.

If they were signal pins, I wouldn't expect it to damage the motherboard, although I don't know enough to say that it definitely won't.
Dmytry
Dmytry

Modern processors have dozens of power and ground pins. If the pins that broke were both power or ground and there were enough other power/ground pins nearby, it will probably work.

If they were signal pins, I wouldn't expect it to damage the motherboard, although I don't know enough to say that it definitely won't.

This. If it is two ground or power pins, it'll probably work fine. And it won't fry the board. I dunno about the pinout, I doubt it was ever released online, you can maybe try finding some technical contact address for this and asking. Soldering would be incredibly tricky.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.