Original Post
I am about 70% complete with a very indepth GDD for a game but I just realised that while the game would be unique and uncontested market (no one else has made a game like it) I'm unsure how much players it would attract really, Because the game that inspired me to create this game design has an extremely low playerbase, but I think it has a lot to do with their marketing too.
I will probably complete the GDD and create the game still since it's not too complex game.
But I wonder now what's the best type of game to create as indy if you want money?
And I don't want to read a lot of replies saying "indys don't make money, they just create games to gain reputation in the game dev biz."
So what kind of game would you think is best to make?
A singleplayer RPG? Can be cracked and torrented on torrent sites. Games really need a multiplayer feature now because that makes it extremely hard to make a cracked version that's always up to date and playable online. I also am not a fan of one time purchase of a game, specially if it's indy with so low price tags.
A coop PvE game (ex: Trine 2)? That's a possibility, Not sure how much money those games bring in though, I would prefer creating a f2p game with a cash shop system because I believe that is the best way to make money out of games but I have a hard time seeing a cash shop being implemented to a coop game unless it's for DLC's.. Could work.
Zombie survival multiplayer? This has what I reckon a big player market and I can easily see indy's competing in it. Cash shop could easily be implemented.
MOBA game such as Lol/Hon/dota/blc? Indys don't stand a chance in that market, I doubt even a pro studio would manage stepping into that already dominated market.
Terraforming/crafting multiplayer games such as minecraft, terraria? BIG market. easy to implemented cash shop. But would have to be a unique game idea if minecraft and terraria players are going to move over to your game.
MMORPG (theme based, not death penalties, only rewards, pvp, pve etc like tera/wow/rift etc) Forget about it if your indy.
MMORPG (hardcore, death penalties, open pvp) ? Very possible for indy to compete in. Big enough market to make some serious money. But it must be perfect game, Make any bad game designs or mistakes around release etc and you will have a big hit to reputation and lose so many potential players.
FPS shooters like COD, BF3, MW ? Too dominated market already.
RTS like starcraft, age of empires ? Too dominated market.
Ok, I'm tired of writing more suggestions to get the thread started.
Comment on my suggestions and what I thought of them and let me know of any more I missed out, I can edit this post later.
I will probably complete the GDD and create the game still since it's not too complex game.
But I wonder now what's the best type of game to create as indy if you want money?
And I don't want to read a lot of replies saying "indys don't make money, they just create games to gain reputation in the game dev biz."
So what kind of game would you think is best to make?
A singleplayer RPG? Can be cracked and torrented on torrent sites. Games really need a multiplayer feature now because that makes it extremely hard to make a cracked version that's always up to date and playable online. I also am not a fan of one time purchase of a game, specially if it's indy with so low price tags.
A coop PvE game (ex: Trine 2)? That's a possibility, Not sure how much money those games bring in though, I would prefer creating a f2p game with a cash shop system because I believe that is the best way to make money out of games but I have a hard time seeing a cash shop being implemented to a coop game unless it's for DLC's.. Could work.
Zombie survival multiplayer? This has what I reckon a big player market and I can easily see indy's competing in it. Cash shop could easily be implemented.
MOBA game such as Lol/Hon/dota/blc? Indys don't stand a chance in that market, I doubt even a pro studio would manage stepping into that already dominated market.
Terraforming/crafting multiplayer games such as minecraft, terraria? BIG market. easy to implemented cash shop. But would have to be a unique game idea if minecraft and terraria players are going to move over to your game.
MMORPG (theme based, not death penalties, only rewards, pvp, pve etc like tera/wow/rift etc) Forget about it if your indy.
MMORPG (hardcore, death penalties, open pvp) ? Very possible for indy to compete in. Big enough market to make some serious money. But it must be perfect game, Make any bad game designs or mistakes around release etc and you will have a big hit to reputation and lose so many potential players.
FPS shooters like COD, BF3, MW ? Too dominated market already.
RTS like starcraft, age of empires ? Too dominated market.
Ok, I'm tired of writing more suggestions to get the thread started.
Comment on my suggestions and what I thought of them and let me know of any more I missed out, I can edit this post later.