Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Issue learning OpenGL

Started by Shane Thompson May 26, 2012 at 6:20 PM 0 replies 2.6k views
Original Post
Shane Thompson
Shane Thompson
Hi guys,

Recently I came across a site (a sub-domain of this) which contains some (rather old-ish) tutorials on OpenGL.
I am doing this tutorial: http://nehe.gamedev...._polygon/13002/
which is an extension upon the last. I had no issues with the last. However I get to tutorial 2 and it does not draw.

Here is what I believe is the relevant code:



int DrawGLScene(GLvoid) { // Here's where we do all the drawing
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT); // Clear the screen and the depth buffer
glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION); // I found some pages said I should do this?
glLoadIdentity(); // Reset the current Modelview Matrix

glTranslatef(1.5, 0.0, 6.0); // Move left 1.5 and back 6.0

glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES); // Draw using triangles
glVertex3f( 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f); // Top
glVertex3f(-1.0f, -1.0f, 0.0f); // Bottom left
glVertex3f( 1.0f, -1.0f, 0.0f); // Bottom right
glEnd(); // Finished the triangle

glBegin(GL_QUADS); // Draw using squares
glVertex3f(-1.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f); // Top left
glVertex3f( 1.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f); // Top right
glVertex3f( 1.0f, -1.0f, 0.0f); // Bottom right
glVertex3f(-1.0f, -1.0f, 0.0f); // Bottom left
glEnd(); // Finished the square

return true; // Everything went OK.
}


It simply appears to do nothing. I have been googling around, however there does not seem to be that much information on it, or I am looking in the wrong place. I can confirm this function is being run - I placed a breakpoint in the function and it breaks fine.

However all I am presented with is a blank screen.
Any tips?

Thanks,
shanept

EDIT
I have gone through my code again and have found my errors. They were simply a few positive numbers where they should have been negative, and a missing translate between the two objects.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.