Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Getting Started with the game development

Started by Karthikb4u May 30, 2012 at 10:52 AM 2 replies 2k views
Original Post
Karthikb4u
Karthikb4u
I am a java developer with coding skills in java,javascript and c++ too...I am having this aspiration to try game development...

But i got struck with the initial step itself....where to start?

My question is...

what is a game engine? Whether OpenGl (other stuffs like this) is a game engines or OpenGl is different from game engine?if yes what is it?

What is the step by step ( just the flow of learning steps/process of development not the minor details) process if my goal is to create a small game (tic tac toe)...in

my pc/android mobile?...

I know this is a vague question?... but please point me in the right direction....
Karthikb4u
Karthikb4u
So i got this inference from that post...

Game engine...
mostly like a software(like photoshop for image editing)for creating a game...eg..(UNITY,JMONKEY..etc)...easy to create a game using this....

Game Framework...
just the graphics API (nuts and bolts) that you should assemble yourself if you want to develop a game with game framework....(eg..OPENGL like stuffs)


Correct me if am wrong....

if am right what should i prefer a game engine or a game framework?....

also I need answer for this ...

What is the step by step ( just the flow of learning steps/process of development not the minor details) process if my goal is to create a small game (tic tac toe)...in

my pc/android mobile?...
szecs
szecs
Well, you could also google these to clear the terms up.

Comparing engines with frameworks is meaningless, as they are different things. It's hard to explain, that's why I suggested google, because I'm sure there are well formatted articles about the topic.

Anyway, framework is something every program has. Well, ... it's the program itself. Or the skeleton of it if you like. So everything, from the game logic, through input handling, game loop, event handling, window handling and other platform specific stuff, menus, to whatever. Basically if you strip away the specific details that make the game 's design, you get the framework. Or something like that. Probably there's many multi-paged articles about that, I don't know why I'm even trying to explain it in a forum post...

OpenGL is another different thing. it's also hard to explain, it's like trying to explain the difference between a carrot and bean-soup.
Very simply put: OpenGL is the interface between your program and the graphics hardware. The only thing it does is rendering.

I'm sure there are plenty of tutorials out there to show how to build a simple game. I may sound a butt just saying "google", but I guess most of us would google it for you anyway.

Anyway, the first step:
Get a book, go to a course, download a beginner tutorial, or just take the time and browse this very forum as there are about seven threads about exactly the same topic on the very first page.
I know you are excited, but this should have been your first step.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.