Original Post
Have you read The Lean Startup, or heard of it?
If you haven't, it is collection of simple concepts: Launch a minimium version of your product, learn from consumer behaviour and modify or produce more. Iterate indefinitely. The Lean Startup is a fad, but there are lessons to be learned from it and I think that game design can benefit from them.
I'm working on my first indie game and the idea is still not completely defined. I am working on the minimum possible version 1.0.
I am doing this because it is fun but I also want to make money. I believe that if the process of designing my game follows these principles I will have a better chance of success and end up with a better game.
An (exceptional, but still...) example I like to think about is Minecraft. It was developed in an open fashion with continuous feedback from it's exploding community; very similar to the 'lean startup' ideas on how things should be done.
I don't think this design strategy could work for all games. And I don't presume that it leads to minecraft-level success; but I think that it may work for certain games, especially in the mobile space like in my case. It is certainly better than working on something for a year or more only to find out that people don't like your idea and they don't want to play your game.
I just wanted to share these thoughts and read your opinions. =)
If you haven't, it is collection of simple concepts: Launch a minimium version of your product, learn from consumer behaviour and modify or produce more. Iterate indefinitely. The Lean Startup is a fad, but there are lessons to be learned from it and I think that game design can benefit from them.
I'm working on my first indie game and the idea is still not completely defined. I am working on the minimum possible version 1.0.
I am doing this because it is fun but I also want to make money. I believe that if the process of designing my game follows these principles I will have a better chance of success and end up with a better game.
An (exceptional, but still...) example I like to think about is Minecraft. It was developed in an open fashion with continuous feedback from it's exploding community; very similar to the 'lean startup' ideas on how things should be done.
I don't think this design strategy could work for all games. And I don't presume that it leads to minecraft-level success; but I think that it may work for certain games, especially in the mobile space like in my case. It is certainly better than working on something for a year or more only to find out that people don't like your idea and they don't want to play your game.
I just wanted to share these thoughts and read your opinions. =)