Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Clouds in OpenGL?

Started by iLoveGameProgramming Jun 11, 2012 at 10:46 AM 5 replies 15.3k views
Original Post
iLoveGameProgramming
iLoveGameProgramming
Hey guys smile.png
Well I'm trying to make volumetric clouds but I have no idea where to start.. Does anyone know a good tutorial how to make them or suggest a commercial free library that could achieve that more easily with out spending weeks to code it tongue.png Also I don't want anything too cpu intensive... Just something simple smile.png

They don't have to be really realistic or anything but I want to fly thought them, and change how dense they are etc.

I've made simple clouds in OpenGl and they look like this:

clouds1.png

I like how they look, i use perlin noise formula to generate them so they are different each time, and I can adjust how dense they are.. the only problem is that it's just a plane..

cloud%20plane.png



So I definitely need new approach to this tongue.png

Well what I am trying in future is weather system, So i could get rain, thunderstorms etc
Thanks so much for your time and help biggrin.png
dpadam450
dpadam450
Just use billboarded sprites like you would with any particle system.
NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims 
Waterlimon
Waterlimon
You could have it like it is now (maybe some shaders to make it look 3D), and when you get closer use particles and fade the cloud texture away.
o3o
Fractal_Vision
Fractal_Vision
Hi there. I've been looking into clouds recently, maybe some of the research I've done could guide you towards a solution.

Perhaps the simplest solution is going from 2D to 3D Perlin Noise.

I would suggest using billboard sprites as dpadam450 said. I'd recommend reading two papers, "A Simple, Efficient Method for Realistic Animation of Clouds" by Yoshinori Dobashi (PDF), as he describes a way to represent cloud volumes. The second paper is on the actual billboard sprites, "Real-Time Cloud Rendering" by Mark Harris (PDF).


If you want really nice clouds, try http://wiki.patapom.com/index.php/Clouds. It the most extensive documentation on clouds I've found to date, but it is very complex. Good luck.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.