Original Post
I would like to make a game somewhat similar to a mixture of Far Cry and Minecraft - basically a playable version of the movie Cast Away. You're alone on a tropical island, do what you have to to survive. You'd be able to hunt, gather resources, make tools, and build shelter. Ideally there would be a day/night cycle and a seasonal cycle as well. It would also be nice if I could make it first as a singleplayer game with the option of adding multiplayer later, but this is non-essential.
I don't really want to start from scratch, I'd rather try to mod an existing game if possible.
I don't have a huge amount of game development experience, but I do know both C++ and Java. How should I go about getting started with this?
I don't really want to start from scratch, I'd rather try to mod an existing game if possible.
I don't have a huge amount of game development experience, but I do know both C++ and Java. How should I go about getting started with this?