Original Post
Good evening,
I'm just wondering how everyone else tackles the issue of integrating depth of field with particle systems. The usual method of using the depth buffer as input to the DOF effect won't work with transparency since only the nearest depth layer is stored (obviously) - resulting in distant transparent geometry being incorrect when behind closer transparent geometry.
It doesn't need to be perfect, it just needs to look "ok".
Unfortunately, in this scenario all of the particles are packed throughout the scene - and the focal range for the DOF is fairly small - so the transition between in-focus, and out-of-focus, must be smooth. (So I can't say: "These are out-of-focus, and these are in-focus")
Any suggestions? My google-fu isn't great today.
Cheers,
Tom
I'm just wondering how everyone else tackles the issue of integrating depth of field with particle systems. The usual method of using the depth buffer as input to the DOF effect won't work with transparency since only the nearest depth layer is stored (obviously) - resulting in distant transparent geometry being incorrect when behind closer transparent geometry.
It doesn't need to be perfect, it just needs to look "ok".
Unfortunately, in this scenario all of the particles are packed throughout the scene - and the focal range for the DOF is fairly small - so the transition between in-focus, and out-of-focus, must be smooth. (So I can't say: "These are out-of-focus, and these are in-focus")
Any suggestions? My google-fu isn't great today.
Cheers,
Tom

