Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Tile size in a 2D Map

Started by FatManatee Jun 21, 2012 at 9:22 AM 0 replies 1.5k views
Original Post
FatManatee
FatManatee
I have a simple question.
What are the correct size for a generic tile? Depend from resolution?

For example;
I have a canvas 500x500 pixel... the tile, better 16x16px or 32x32?
How to decide?
laztrezort
laztrezort
This question gets asked alot, and there is no general good answer - it depends on a lot of factors. If you search for "tile size" on this site, you should get a number of good posts.

One suggestion I can put out there, though, is to design your tile engine to support any size of tile, so that if your art direction changes (and it probably will!), you can adjust accordingly without having to re-write a bunch of code.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.