Original Post
I've been playing with a game idea that I've had for a little while and now that I've got a lot of the ideas in place I thought I would share some of them here before I go any further to get some honest opinions and some thoughts.
This would be my first mobile game but not my first game overall. In the past I have created a top down space shooter in C#/XNA. I don't have a lot of experience with mobile development in general but I have played around with Monotouch. Based on this I think my idea would be doable for someone of my experience and not too technically difficult as a first mobile game.
The Idea
The main game would put the player into a space like setting with a number of coloured "shapes" which can interact with each other by the player linking one shape to another which shares the same colour. To do this, the player can simply swipe that shape in the direction of another (Fruit Ninja was inspiration here).
Each object can fire out a point of light in the direction of the player's swipe. The speed of these lights depends on the type of object or shape, and its colour. Some object are worth more points than others (typically, the slower ones). If the player makes a connection with a correct object the player is given points and the objects are removed from the game. On the other hand, if an incorrect connection is made (i.e to a different coloured shape) then the player loses points, a life is taken from them and the objects are removed from the game).
All objects move around the screen at varying speeds. Part of the skill will be to judge the pattern and movement of a shape you are trying to hit and connect them when a path is free. Because all shapes are moving later stages in the game will make it more difficult to judge when to attempt a link between one object and another.
The player has the ability to make a shape stop moving by holding it down before swiping to a direction on the screen. However this can only occur for a maximum of 3 seconds at a time.
I think this is a very simple game idea and is something that I'm still working on but I'm interested to hear some opinions so far. How does the idea sound to you? What would you expect the controls to feel like? Can you imagine the gameplay based on what I have described above? And if you don't like the idea at all please give me a reason why
Thanks in advance.
This would be my first mobile game but not my first game overall. In the past I have created a top down space shooter in C#/XNA. I don't have a lot of experience with mobile development in general but I have played around with Monotouch. Based on this I think my idea would be doable for someone of my experience and not too technically difficult as a first mobile game.
The Idea
The main game would put the player into a space like setting with a number of coloured "shapes" which can interact with each other by the player linking one shape to another which shares the same colour. To do this, the player can simply swipe that shape in the direction of another (Fruit Ninja was inspiration here).
Each object can fire out a point of light in the direction of the player's swipe. The speed of these lights depends on the type of object or shape, and its colour. Some object are worth more points than others (typically, the slower ones). If the player makes a connection with a correct object the player is given points and the objects are removed from the game. On the other hand, if an incorrect connection is made (i.e to a different coloured shape) then the player loses points, a life is taken from them and the objects are removed from the game).
All objects move around the screen at varying speeds. Part of the skill will be to judge the pattern and movement of a shape you are trying to hit and connect them when a path is free. Because all shapes are moving later stages in the game will make it more difficult to judge when to attempt a link between one object and another.
The player has the ability to make a shape stop moving by holding it down before swiping to a direction on the screen. However this can only occur for a maximum of 3 seconds at a time.
I think this is a very simple game idea and is something that I'm still working on but I'm interested to hear some opinions so far. How does the idea sound to you? What would you expect the controls to feel like? Can you imagine the gameplay based on what I have described above? And if you don't like the idea at all please give me a reason why
Thanks in advance.