Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Model Loader for SlimDX and .OBJ or .FBX

Started by riuthamus Jun 24, 2012 at 8:43 AM 3 replies 4.9k views
Original Post
riuthamus
riuthamus
We are to the point in our game that we would like to add models. We were using XNA but felt the burden of using dx9 was overbearing. We made the switch from XNA to SlimDX but we are having some major issues with getting a model loader + animations, to work. I have looked around and done some searching but cant seem to find one. Any guidance for this would be greatly appreciated.

I have made the model with Maya, so fbx is our prefered format but I can export it with obj if needed. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Aqua Costa
Aqua Costa
Have you tried Assimp? It can load a wide range on 3D formats and it's easy to integrate on an engine,
riuthamus
riuthamus
I will take a lookd, i read up on it but I didnt think it worked with SlimDX, least not yet.

**EDIT** i guess i should have mentioned it has to work with C#.... they dont have a C# release yet
Postie
Postie
Though I haven't used them myself, there are a few c# wrappers for assimp, you may want to look at. If you google "Assimp c# wrapper" you'll find a few projects. Not sure if they're any good though.
[size="2"]Currently working on an open world survival RPG - For info check out my Development blog:[size="2"] ByteWrangler
riuthamus
riuthamus
Thanks for the heads up. We are going to attempt to modify the Culla or whatever it is called. If that doesnt work, we will go to the drawing board and make one from scratch. The really sad part is that the DX11 removed the support for handling of it. I know why they did it.. but still sad it was removed. Thanks again for the advice guys.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.