Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

total noob here. Can you recommend a c++ compiler?

Started by clem84 Jun 24, 2012 at 10:10 PM 13 replies 4.9k views
Original Post
clem84
clem84
I figured the first thing I had to do was to properly learn C++. I remember back when I was in college we had a program that opened up and then you could write your own code and then run it. That's called a compiler right? Can you recommend a good compiler for windows7?
zacaj
zacaj
This is known as an IDE. A compiler just takes the name of a file and makes an exe, it doesnt include an editor. For Windows the best IDEs are Visual Studio (which is made by Microsoft), Code::Blocks, and Eclipse. I don't know about eclipse but I know Visual Studio and Code::Blocks include a compiler with them. Id recommend you download Visual Studio 2010 Express edition to start.
Alternately, there are lots of text editors that you can code in, such as Notepad++ which you can also configure to run a compiler, or even just open a command prompt to run the compiler from
Cornstalks
Cornstalks

I figured the first thing I had to do was to properly learn C++. I remember back when I was in college we had a program that opened up and then you could write your own code and then run it. That's called a compiler right?

Probably an IDE, actually. But yes, you type the code, and the compiler turns your code into an executable (and the IDE simplifies the process of using the compiler, though it's possible (though more painful, depending on who you talk to) to use the compiler without an IDE (a compiler is typically just a command line program)).


Can you recommend a good compiler for windows7?

I'll recommend a good compiler and IDE for Windows: Visual C++ 2010 Express. It's free, and has the best debugger in the industry.
clem84
clem84
Thank you!

downloading...
Gabriel Matusevich
Gabriel Matusevich
Hellooww! I fell like i should share my EPIC quest in finding an IDE for C++, because i have Tried MANY!!!

I would say that MS Visual C++ 2010 is a great choise, and i think is the most popular. BUT ....

Looking and surfing i found that the one i like the most is the QT IDE, http://qt.nokia.com/products/

The Qt Creator is just awesome for programming in C++, and its cross-platform, so you can write your code once and compile anyware.
It also has the whole Qt framework for programing graphic interface in C++ in case you want to write software.

BUt if you just like to learn C++, you can do a plain C++ project on the Qt Creator and its really smooth.

I prefer Qt Creator over MS Visual C++
Cygon
Cygon
Just for completeness sake, these are the most popular IDEs for Windows (in order of popularity, decided by me )

Visual C++ Express
Eclipse CDT
Qt Creator
Code::Blocks
NetBeans

Visual C++ is an IDE for Microsoft's C++ Compiler, the other IDEs can either use Microsoft's C++ Compiler or MinGW depending on which one you have installed.
Professional C++ and .NET developer trying to break into indie game development.
Follow my progress: http://blog.nuclex-games.com/ or Twitter - Topics: Ogre3D, Blender, game architecture tips & code snippets.
clem84
clem84
thanks for all the replies! I've decided to use MS's Visual C++ studio 2010. I figured since it's the most popular I'll be able to find support for it more easily.
Serapth
Serapth

Just for completeness sake, these are the most popular IDEs for Windows (in order of popularity, decided by me biggrin.png)

Visual C++ Express
Eclipse CDT
Qt Creator
Code::Blocks
NetBeans

Visual C++ is an IDE for Microsoft's C++ Compiler, the other IDEs can either use Microsoft's C++ Compiler or MinGW depending on which one you have installed.


You like CDT?

Myself, if I was to rework your list in my order of preference:
Visual C++
QT Creator
Netbeans
Code::Blocks
Nothing
Less than nothing
I owe you something because there is so little nothing
A year in hell
A lifetime in hell
Eclipse CDT
Cygon
Cygon
I tried to estimate popularity, not enjoyability

The Android SDK (and especially NDK for C++ developers) uses Eclipse and I got the impression that it's the most common choice for people running MinGW on Windows.
I'm using Eclipse on Linux and it's, well, sort of usable. I find it more convenient to write code in Windows with Visual C++, save it to a network share and compile from bash via PuTTY, though. I would rank the remaining options by their inverse closeness to CMake...
Professional C++ and .NET developer trying to break into indie game development.
Follow my progress: http://blog.nuclex-games.com/ or Twitter - Topics: Ogre3D, Blender, game architecture tips & code snippets.
antiHUMANDesigns
antiHUMANDesigns

This is known as an IDE. A compiler just takes the name of a file and makes an exe, it doesnt include an editor. For Windows the best IDEs are Visual Studio (which is made by Microsoft), Code::Blocks, and Eclipse. I don't know about eclipse but I know Visual Studio and Code::Blocks include a compiler with them. Id recommend you download Visual Studio 2010 Express edition to start.
Alternately, there are lots of text editors that you can code in, such as Notepad++ which you can also configure to run a compiler, or even just open a command prompt to run the compiler from


Dev-C++ is at least as good as Code::Blocks, I would say. Definitely better than Eclipse in my opinion. So ye, I recommend Dev-C++ if you, like me, think Visual Studio feels too cumbersome.
Cornstalks
Cornstalks

Dev-C++ is at least as good as Code::Blocks, I would say. Definitely better than Eclipse in my opinion. So ye, I recommend Dev-C++ if you, like me, think Visual Studio feels too cumbersome.

Dev-C++ is terrible. At least use wxDev-C++ if you're going to use it at all. But never use the original [edit: Bloodshed] Dev-C++.
Matt-D
Matt-D

[quote name='antiHUMANDesigns' timestamp='1340727746' post='4953053']
Dev-C++ is at least as good as Code::Blocks, I would say. Definitely better than Eclipse in my opinion. So ye, I recommend Dev-C++ if you, like me, think Visual Studio feels too cumbersome.

Dev-C++ is terrible. At least use wxDev-C++ if you're going to use it at all. But never use the original Dev-C++.
[/quote]

Orwell Dev-C++ is the recently updated version: http://orwelldevcpp.blogspot.com/
// This may be convenient: "This version has GCC built-in instead of being an aditional package. It also contains, among others, D3D9/10/11, GDI, Win32 and OpenGL headers and libraries in that flavor."

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.