Original Post
Hi guys,
I'm super new to programming, and I'm still trying to wrap my head around frameworks vs engines. I'm working on a 2d game that is a mix of both action and some light platforming, as well as some strong, traditional adventure game influences. The three Framework/engines that I have narrowed my search to are Unity, XNA, and Gamemaker 8. I want to be able to build this game comfortably, while also having the tools I need to do what I want. In addition to that, I also want to have the skills that I learn while making the project be useful to me in the future, when I tackle bigger and more complex game designs. If you were in my shoes, which of these three would you choose to use?
I'm super new to programming, and I'm still trying to wrap my head around frameworks vs engines. I'm working on a 2d game that is a mix of both action and some light platforming, as well as some strong, traditional adventure game influences. The three Framework/engines that I have narrowed my search to are Unity, XNA, and Gamemaker 8. I want to be able to build this game comfortably, while also having the tools I need to do what I want. In addition to that, I also want to have the skills that I learn while making the project be useful to me in the future, when I tackle bigger and more complex game designs. If you were in my shoes, which of these three would you choose to use?