Original Post
Hey, I've made a quite a few mini-games and a small Platformer game and now I want to make a game with a story:)
I want it to be an 2D Isometric RPG with all the cliche systems an RPG has like magic, quests and dungeons..
I have a pretty good idea of what I want it to be like and it has high inspiration from the Elder Scrolls series.
The only thing I'm finding it hard to do is thinking where to start? I'm going to start writing the story when the basic game engine is done so if I feel like making a sequel then I wont have to rewrite the entire game.
I'm pretty pumped to make this but I don't know where to start in programming terms..
Should I start on NPCs and AI support?
Maybe the world and city support?
The game itself will be a file that I can load into the engine meaning that I can write my own mods.
I want the game to be very heavily based on magic.
Btw this is not a small project I'm hoping to work on this until September to a good standard.
I've written an rpg game engine before(one of my first projects) but it was buggy and cluttered in terms of programming.
The graphics were also bad because at the time I didn't know how to resize images in java but now I think I have pretty much all the knowledge needed to write a good game.
Now I just need to know where to start.
Also here is my website if you want to try any of the buggy mini-games I've made(don't bother with the applet on the home page): http://cmprogramming.weebly.com/portfolio.html
I want it to be an 2D Isometric RPG with all the cliche systems an RPG has like magic, quests and dungeons..
I have a pretty good idea of what I want it to be like and it has high inspiration from the Elder Scrolls series.
The only thing I'm finding it hard to do is thinking where to start? I'm going to start writing the story when the basic game engine is done so if I feel like making a sequel then I wont have to rewrite the entire game.
I'm pretty pumped to make this but I don't know where to start in programming terms..
Should I start on NPCs and AI support?
Maybe the world and city support?
The game itself will be a file that I can load into the engine meaning that I can write my own mods.
I want the game to be very heavily based on magic.
Btw this is not a small project I'm hoping to work on this until September to a good standard.
I've written an rpg game engine before(one of my first projects) but it was buggy and cluttered in terms of programming.
The graphics were also bad because at the time I didn't know how to resize images in java but now I think I have pretty much all the knowledge needed to write a good game.
Now I just need to know where to start.
Also here is my website if you want to try any of the buggy mini-games I've made(don't bother with the applet on the home page): http://cmprogramming.weebly.com/portfolio.html