Original Post
Hey guys
I've been looking around the game development world for a while and I want to do a few games as hobby projects. Just for fun. However, I'm bad with making choices so I want everyone to help me brainstorm on which language to use. These are the possible choices;
Java and Mono are my ideal choice. The use of a virtual machine means that my games will be inherently cross-platform and fairly performant. Using these platforms will also give me a fairly wide amount of extra languages like Scala, Clojure, etc. P/Invoke and JNA also allow me to use C libraries. Not to mention that these are the languages I've been trained to use professionally.
However, what stops me from just using these languages is that they require a rather large runtime. I'm a bit hesitant to ask potential players to install the JRE or .NET/Mono. I know most pc's have these runtimes nowadays but still.
C/C++, Go and Object Pascal are my second choice since it allows me to simply distribute all dll's and such with my application. The problem with this 'platform' is that it's rather difficult to create a cross-platform application. Sure, I can use cross-platform libraries but I still have to compile my application for every platform and Linux isn't exactly known for its ABI-compatibility.
And finally, HTML5 and (obviously) JavaScript. This seems a really good platform since it's very cross-platform and stuff. However, it somehow doesn't really seem 'cool' to embed all your game code into a webpage. It's just a silly reason that I can't quite explain. Also, browser performance isn't really comparable with the above.
So, any thoughts? Comments? Any opinion is appreciated.
I've been looking around the game development world for a while and I want to do a few games as hobby projects. Just for fun. However, I'm bad with making choices so I want everyone to help me brainstorm on which language to use. These are the possible choices;
Java and Mono are my ideal choice. The use of a virtual machine means that my games will be inherently cross-platform and fairly performant. Using these platforms will also give me a fairly wide amount of extra languages like Scala, Clojure, etc. P/Invoke and JNA also allow me to use C libraries. Not to mention that these are the languages I've been trained to use professionally.
However, what stops me from just using these languages is that they require a rather large runtime. I'm a bit hesitant to ask potential players to install the JRE or .NET/Mono. I know most pc's have these runtimes nowadays but still.
C/C++, Go and Object Pascal are my second choice since it allows me to simply distribute all dll's and such with my application. The problem with this 'platform' is that it's rather difficult to create a cross-platform application. Sure, I can use cross-platform libraries but I still have to compile my application for every platform and Linux isn't exactly known for its ABI-compatibility.
And finally, HTML5 and (obviously) JavaScript. This seems a really good platform since it's very cross-platform and stuff. However, it somehow doesn't really seem 'cool' to embed all your game code into a webpage. It's just a silly reason that I can't quite explain. Also, browser performance isn't really comparable with the above.
So, any thoughts? Comments? Any opinion is appreciated.