Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Different Styles For Moving Sprites

Started by JDGamedev Jul 11, 2012 at 7:37 PM 2 replies 1.4k views
Original Post
JDGamedev
JDGamedev
Lately I've been trying to make a lot of design decisions for my game and the type of movement that will be in the game is a big deal.

I've tried out a couple different methods (free movement and tile-by-tile movement) but I'd like to see what you guys think.

What are some different ways to control movement that you have experience with and what are the ups and downs? Also, which do you think is the most fun to use?
JDGamedev
JDGamedev

What kind of game are we talking about? Tile-based 2d RPG?


Pretty much. I want to include some RTS-type stuff like building a base, but mostly RPG.
laztrezort
laztrezort
Conventially, real-time games are generally free-movement, while turn-based are grid (rectangular or hexagonal).

The fun-factor would depend entirely on the style of the game. A real-time game, especially where finesse is needed when moving the player, would potentially annoy me if it was grid-based.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.