Original Post
I have been discussing with friends and other people, and wanted to bring this discussion here. If online games are persistent, with the game world always there, why not your character always there like in The Sims?
I realize this will require some backward thinking like changing how we log off characters at the end of a game session. We will need to have to use a fairly detailed menu of what we want them to do when we are off line. I figure if we can have characters with multiple skills, tie in decision tree's with specific skills in mind. So if your character has a cottage woodworking industry, then menu's would allow you to during your off time to do woodworking. I am using the game The Guild 2 as a basis for many idea's here.
So as you log off, you would tell your character to start its routines, including making products, checking its inventory of materials, and going to buy materials if needed. Minding the store would also be important as players and offline characters would also patronize your store. Plus your character would likely need to patronize other stores for tools, nails, finishes, or material.
I feel this would make games feel more alive, similar to how it felt to walk around Skyrim, or other games with players bustling around.
But your asking, how would this affect combat players? First, this wont work for full pvp games, but with for games like SWTOR, Rift, Vanguard, Warhammer, then as PVE it would work ok. As you log off your character, you would have several options for your character to do. From returning to your house and sitting quietly, to finding a trainer and honing some skills you feel need work, to defending the local city by returning to the city barracks and earning civic points.
I realize this still has many holes, but I would like to discuss this with other people.
I realize this will require some backward thinking like changing how we log off characters at the end of a game session. We will need to have to use a fairly detailed menu of what we want them to do when we are off line. I figure if we can have characters with multiple skills, tie in decision tree's with specific skills in mind. So if your character has a cottage woodworking industry, then menu's would allow you to during your off time to do woodworking. I am using the game The Guild 2 as a basis for many idea's here.
So as you log off, you would tell your character to start its routines, including making products, checking its inventory of materials, and going to buy materials if needed. Minding the store would also be important as players and offline characters would also patronize your store. Plus your character would likely need to patronize other stores for tools, nails, finishes, or material.
I feel this would make games feel more alive, similar to how it felt to walk around Skyrim, or other games with players bustling around.
But your asking, how would this affect combat players? First, this wont work for full pvp games, but with for games like SWTOR, Rift, Vanguard, Warhammer, then as PVE it would work ok. As you log off your character, you would have several options for your character to do. From returning to your house and sitting quietly, to finding a trainer and honing some skills you feel need work, to defending the local city by returning to the city barracks and earning civic points.
I realize this still has many holes, but I would like to discuss this with other people.