Original Post
If Windows 8 is the next in line, behind Windows 7, then I don't want to develop games for Windows anymore. Each version brings a few important features, but they completely spoil it to an overall negative improvement, by absoluteness. Due to Windows 8's unbearable terror, even if Windows 7 stays dominant for quite a long time, I wouldn't be stupid to let that pass. I'm considering developing for Linux, but from my experience, it has quite unstable/unreliable drivers. The people building desktop environments for Linux have some mental problems alike Microsoft, too. Mostly, I'm concerned by the "UNIX environment" that's associated with Linux. I'm one of those people who believes that programming languages shouldn't have been carried on since the advent of NLS. I'm bothered by how many people consider long, homogenous strings of characters as the golden interface to the computer (one of those UNIX philosophies): Programming Schemes, Search Queries, User Interfaces (Even sneaked into "Graphical" User Interfaces) and the most idiotic of all: Media Encoding (i.e. XML).
I could rant a lot about very stupid GUI design decisions, but there's so many of them, and that's beside my point. To elaborate this redundancy: I'm just disappointed by everything in the software world! Where's the hacker ethic gone? Why is the industry engulfed by Java-abusing "IT guys" ? Why is UNIX the only alternative class of operating systems that anyone talks about? Why isn't UDI implemented abundantly? Why do people keep excusing their laziness for: "High capacity hard drives are getting much cheaper. Memory's hella cheap. People's processors are like super computers compared to the 90's. I don't need to worry about my approach anymore. I have a massive canvas to work with!"
Well no. You don't have a massive canvas to work with. Yes, people's computers in the 90's were much less powerful, but at least people tried to conserve their resources to some extent. Don't you realize how long people have been saying this? Yes, hardware has always been getting cheaper, but can you imagine how much more you could do if everyone utilized these resources graciously? (The answer is: No.)
My ultimate problem regards the ecosystem of a computer. Your shit affects my shit. That's why propriety software is retarded. If the big players make shit, then I have to deal with it, especially if its an operating system. Sometimes it doesn't matter how well your compiler can optimize. Two well-written assembly programs which achieve the same design goals can result with widely different performance, depending on which techniques were utilized to implement them. But the technical problems rendered to Windows are of a much worse case. This simple issue I speak of now seems far beyond their pathetic problems.
I hope you enjoyed this rant. It might need to be moved, but I tried to place it in the right forum.
I could rant a lot about very stupid GUI design decisions, but there's so many of them, and that's beside my point. To elaborate this redundancy: I'm just disappointed by everything in the software world! Where's the hacker ethic gone? Why is the industry engulfed by Java-abusing "IT guys" ? Why is UNIX the only alternative class of operating systems that anyone talks about? Why isn't UDI implemented abundantly? Why do people keep excusing their laziness for: "High capacity hard drives are getting much cheaper. Memory's hella cheap. People's processors are like super computers compared to the 90's. I don't need to worry about my approach anymore. I have a massive canvas to work with!"
Well no. You don't have a massive canvas to work with. Yes, people's computers in the 90's were much less powerful, but at least people tried to conserve their resources to some extent. Don't you realize how long people have been saying this? Yes, hardware has always been getting cheaper, but can you imagine how much more you could do if everyone utilized these resources graciously? (The answer is: No.)
My ultimate problem regards the ecosystem of a computer. Your shit affects my shit. That's why propriety software is retarded. If the big players make shit, then I have to deal with it, especially if its an operating system. Sometimes it doesn't matter how well your compiler can optimize. Two well-written assembly programs which achieve the same design goals can result with widely different performance, depending on which techniques were utilized to implement them. But the technical problems rendered to Windows are of a much worse case. This simple issue I speak of now seems far beyond their pathetic problems.
I hope you enjoyed this rant. It might need to be moved, but I tried to place it in the right forum.