Original Post
Hello again!
Till now processing r32f at vertex shader wasn't a big deal, but I decided to exlude bmp/jpg heightmaps from my project and replace them with dds version in r32f format, which allows my crappy gpu to do vtf.
I spent some time trying to get proper values from this format and I'm still failing, even though I found lots of conversion methods.
The msdn says that the most important is the red channel, but I don't really get it in terms of reading from lockedrect.
I use standard method of reading data from texture - so each time I take four bytes and I don't really know how to decode it to proper black-white value.
I used to take only red byte and it seemed aaaalmost ok, but there were some glitches on the output height-image. Could someone give me a clue how to take the brightness from these four bytes properly?
Till now processing r32f at vertex shader wasn't a big deal, but I decided to exlude bmp/jpg heightmaps from my project and replace them with dds version in r32f format, which allows my crappy gpu to do vtf.
I spent some time trying to get proper values from this format and I'm still failing, even though I found lots of conversion methods.
The msdn says that the most important is the red channel, but I don't really get it in terms of reading from lockedrect.
I use standard method of reading data from texture - so each time I take four bytes and I don't really know how to decode it to proper black-white value.
I used to take only red byte and it seemed aaaalmost ok, but there were some glitches on the output height-image. Could someone give me a clue how to take the brightness from these four bytes properly?