Original Post
I would very much like to go into programming / game design. From reading the threads on game dev my understanding of the way most people get into is by starting at the bottom and working their way up, usually in jobs that don't even require a degree. I've just finished the first year of a four year degree in music but I pretty much spend most of my time programming games, however, when I come out of my degree I won't have any qualifications to saying I can actually program apart from the projects I have produced in my free time. I've been considering abandoning my music degree and reapplying for game design / comp sci at other universities. Obviously this is a serious financial risk and entails a lot of lost time. Is it actually worth getting a degree in something so specific as game design or even comp sci, I assume it helps to get into the video games industry but does it make or break one's chances of getting accepted. I'm competent and hard working but I don't know if the fact that I'm missing out on having a degree in what I actually want to do will stop be from ever being able to prove myself in the industry. Any advice is appreciated.