Original Post
Hi there! I'm new, and after having poked around the site a little bit, I signed up because I have a question. But first, a little intro.
The name's Michael, I have tried repeatedly to learn how to program on my own in C or C++ and tried Objective-C. I've failed at all of them, and that's probably because I have tried to do too much too fast, and get discouraged. So I stepped back for a year or so and have decided to tackle a small dream of mine to become proficient in a language.
After having read some other posts about languages, I've decided I want to learn C#. Can I program in C# on a Mac or should I be using a Windows machine? Initially, I want to learn the language for learning the language, and then apply that knowledge to game programming specifically. I want to bring back a 2D RPG similar in style to The Legend of Zelda: Link To The Past, but that's in the future.
My main question is two fold, number one is do you guys recommend a website with tutorials over any others? And is there a book out there that would help me better than others? I've been on the Chapters website and see all kinds of C# books, but a lot of them are 2008, 2010, 2005 years.
I feel like if I continue, I may start rambling so I will end this first post here!
Thanks for your time and I hope to be able to contribute as much as, if not more than, I ask of your expertise!
Michael
The name's Michael, I have tried repeatedly to learn how to program on my own in C or C++ and tried Objective-C. I've failed at all of them, and that's probably because I have tried to do too much too fast, and get discouraged. So I stepped back for a year or so and have decided to tackle a small dream of mine to become proficient in a language.
After having read some other posts about languages, I've decided I want to learn C#. Can I program in C# on a Mac or should I be using a Windows machine? Initially, I want to learn the language for learning the language, and then apply that knowledge to game programming specifically. I want to bring back a 2D RPG similar in style to The Legend of Zelda: Link To The Past, but that's in the future.
My main question is two fold, number one is do you guys recommend a website with tutorials over any others? And is there a book out there that would help me better than others? I've been on the Chapters website and see all kinds of C# books, but a lot of them are 2008, 2010, 2005 years.
I feel like if I continue, I may start rambling so I will end this first post here!
Thanks for your time and I hope to be able to contribute as much as, if not more than, I ask of your expertise!
Michael