Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

UDK and Unity

Started by Manill66 Aug 6, 2012 at 4:36 AM 4 replies 2.5k views
Original Post
Manill66
Manill66
So I tried both udk and unity and they both seem great. I was wondering what do you guys prefer. Which would you recommend? I prefer UDK because it has built in mobile, already has many games released on steam/pc like dungeon defenders, sanctum. It only cost 99$ but royalties doesn't really matter to me. So why do you like each engine? Maybe list the pros and cons? Thanks!
AdrianC
AdrianC
Unity does mobile too, you just gotta pay. It's also generally considered more versatile, has a larger community and its easier to find help when you need it. Udk is cheaper upfront (you just have to pay $100 + royalties over 50k).
6677
6677
The only unity game I've played is Kerbal Space Program (awesome game btw). Shows how versatile unity can be, I don't think we'll see much like it made with UDK. I've also seen a few demo vids of first person shooters made in unity and it seemed to cope with them fine.

Chances are everyone who's got an xbox or PS3 has played an unreal game at some point.


I think if you prefer UDK stick with it, unity can do android and iOS development aswell though.
lmbarns
lmbarns
I like Unity. Quick, simple, effective.

"Battleheart" and other games made by Mika Mobile are successful (making $1.5m per year since 2009) and made with Unity by a team consisting of a husband and wife who were artists for EA before going out on their own. The guy picked up programming to make things happen.

It would be a mofo to develop the next infinity blade or similar quality graphics on mobiles as an individual. And I think their gameplay is crap, just pretty pixels. But the pretty pixels crowd is pretty demanding I won't bother.
lmbarns
lmbarns
Anyone messed around with NASA's Unity Apps?

http://climate.nasa.gov/Eyes/eyes.html

and http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/eyes/player/

Cool to see the merging of massive data collections presented with a game engine.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.