Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Quick guide for beginner

Started by __Itsash Aug 6, 2012 at 3:00 PM 4 replies 2.4k views
Original Post
__Itsash
__Itsash
Hi All.


I am a very enthusiastic developer, recently I have been writing c/c++ programmes and compiling them. I also have written a few games in Flash/AS3.


Quick overview, I am a linux user, so I generally find compilers and install them. I then write my code using VIM, compile them accordingly then run them locally to test my work. However, I do not wish to use an IDE (including Eclipse). I am however wondering what anyone could suggest since I would like to work towards developing games, for platforms like PS3 and of course I'm not aware of any Developer Toolkits being available for linux, let alone Ubuntu.


Any advice would be appreciated, Microsoft Windows, is not and will not ever be an option.
SamiHuutoniemi
SamiHuutoniemi
Well, if you dont want to use an IDE, sit there with your VIM. What is the problem? What do you miss?
beebs1
beebs1
If you want to develop for Linux, there are many C++ SDKs you can use - SDL might be a good start.


You might be better served by being more open-minded about the tools you're willing to use. Is there any reason you have to use VIM?
Vodahmin
Vodahmin
If you truly think about developing for PS3 you need to know that Sony is quite picky about who can write games for their console (their policy is not as open as Microsoft's with their XNA for X360). The only official way to get their SDK is through purchasing a license from Sony.
6677
6677

The only official way to get their SDK is through purchasing a license from Sony.

Which is expensive, VERY expensive.
slicer4ever
slicer4ever
it might be worth noting that the ps3 does have a homebrew sdk, called PS1L1GHT, i've left the ps3 scene awhile ago, so things could have changed, but ur'll need a machine which is still homebrew capable(i.e 3.55 is last i knew).

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.