Original Post
I'm curious, are there techniques for achieving self reflections on a single piece of geometry in real time? For example, if I had a single mesh that was originally a tessellated plane that I have extruded pillars and spikes out of, how would I get the pillars and spikes to reflect one another?
From what I've seen the general way to achieve real time reflections is either to use a cube map to store the reflections in an omni-directional texture or to use the stencil buffer to create a portal of sorts into which the scene is rendered mirrored relative to the reflecting geometry. In both techniques, the reflecting geometry is not rendered when rendering the reflection.
I know that this can be achieved with ray tracing, but that is typically an offline rendering technique due to the heavy calculations involved. Are there any real time alternatives that do not use ray tracing? Or is ray tracing much cheaper to calculate than I was led to believe?
Any insight about this would be greatly appreciated.
From what I've seen the general way to achieve real time reflections is either to use a cube map to store the reflections in an omni-directional texture or to use the stencil buffer to create a portal of sorts into which the scene is rendered mirrored relative to the reflecting geometry. In both techniques, the reflecting geometry is not rendered when rendering the reflection.
I know that this can be achieved with ray tracing, but that is typically an offline rendering technique due to the heavy calculations involved. Are there any real time alternatives that do not use ray tracing? Or is ray tracing much cheaper to calculate than I was led to believe?
Any insight about this would be greatly appreciated.