Original Post
Hi, since no one has replied (though Im greatful for the number of views), I thought I'd clarify the situation.
A ball is in contact with a plane. At the contact point, the relative velocity along the contact normal is zero. The ball's centre of mass (COM) has accn of -g. The ball is spinning at such a rate that at the contact point, the centripetal accn cancels out the gravitational accn. So the calculated contact force to prevent penetration of the point is zero.
Obviously, this will not prevent the ball penetrating the plane.
I've now looked at the equations by Baraff, Eberly and Coutinho and all get this result of zero contact force.
What am I doing wrong? Do I ignore centripetal accn (even though the above authors don't)? Is it simply an unavoidable situation that I'll to code for?
Could anyone do an example calculation for me?
A ball is in contact with a plane. At the contact point, the relative velocity along the contact normal is zero. The ball's centre of mass (COM) has accn of -g. The ball is spinning at such a rate that at the contact point, the centripetal accn cancels out the gravitational accn. So the calculated contact force to prevent penetration of the point is zero.
Obviously, this will not prevent the ball penetrating the plane.
I've now looked at the equations by Baraff, Eberly and Coutinho and all get this result of zero contact force.
What am I doing wrong? Do I ignore centripetal accn (even though the above authors don't)? Is it simply an unavoidable situation that I'll to code for?
Could anyone do an example calculation for me?