Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Things you do while programming

Started by ChristianFrantz Aug 12, 2012 at 9:06 PM 37 replies 7.5k views
Original Post
ChristianFrantz
ChristianFrantz
Topic says it all.
I like to light up a nice cigar and put on some System of a Down or whatever music i feel like at the moment
What do you fancy?
If you see a post from me, you can safely assume its C# and XNA :)
Cornstalks
Cornstalks
I put on some headphones and blast whatever on Pandora. I prefer to be away from people and cannot be around a TV (I feel nauseated if I can see a TV screen while I'm looking at my computer). I also open a few tabs on Chrome and incessantly check GameDev and a few other sites, though I'm more productive when I don't.
ChristianFrantz
ChristianFrantz
Oh i guess to add to this thread we can also post how you program.
I have to make sure that everything is perfectly tabbed and spaced or I cant read my own code lol
If you see a post from me, you can safely assume its C# and XNA :)
Daaark
Daaark
Type an opening brace, and spend the next 5 hours randomly surfing the net, then going to bed.
Daaark
Daaark

I cry... you know for fun biggrin.png


Hanky exceptions

cry
{

}
catch
{

}
blow
{

}
RLS0812
RLS0812
.... get side tracked with other projects.
I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Bacterius
Bacterius
I stare at my monitor blankly, meditating over how unproductive my day has been, and doze off to sleep a few minutes after. But I don't care because my subconscious is always hard at work programming the next big thing. My conscious mind is but a sponge, absorbing information to be later processed into the ultimate holy grail of computer code.
“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”
Ravyne
Ravyne
I do cocaine.




Totally kidding.
throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");
Hodgman
Hodgman
I used to love smoking while coding (at home, not in the office as that would piss people off), but have given it up; it's been replaced with a well made coffee. I keep a coffee plunger at the office (which is also above some awesome baristas) and have a cheap espresso machine and grinder at home.
Music is always good, I prefer something that I'm extremely familiar with (Tool and System are good wink.png), or something "high-energy". I normally never listen to techno or dub-step, but actually like them when coding for a bit of mindless energy.
I used to hate any kind of distraction - like TV - but these days I like having something that I'm interested in, but don't have to pay attention to, playing on my 2nd monitor. Lately, I've been 'watching' a ton of GOMTV.net's Starcraft matches while working -- the ones I don't care if I miss, but would like to know the results of anyway, i.e. not the Code S Finals.
warhound
warhound
Music, and web surfing. Mostly on amazon, for some strange reason...
No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Waterlimon
Waterlimon
I go check the fridge in case some new delicious consumable has spawned there.


Then i go read forums and dont bother to program at all.
o3o
Daaark
Daaark

I do cocaine.
Suddenly LOC becomes a whole different project metric... blink.png
slicer4ever
slicer4ever

I put on some headphones and blast whatever on Pandora. I also open a few tabs on Firefox and incessantly check GameDev and a few other sites, though I'm more productive when I don't.


Type an opening brace, and spend the next 5 hours randomly surfing the net, then going to bed.


I go check the fridge in case some new delicious consumable has spawned there.


that pretty much sums up my daily programming time.

however i generally write a single line of code before web surfing, so eventually...i'll get their...
kuramayoko10
kuramayoko10
Adding something nobody cited (How can you guys live without it??)
I incessantly check my e-mail. I work with different people on different projects + am still in colege, so e-mail is not what I lack on this life.
Programming is an art. Game programming is a masterpiece!
CoffeeCoder
CoffeeCoder
I try to listen to music to drown out the sounds of my current surroundings, but instead of coding along with it, I generally just get absorbed in the music... next thing I know, 20 minutes have passed and I haven't written a single line of code.

I also try to do most of my coding in the morning before work, so I eat breakfast and drink coffee while programming. Interestingly, I can generally pop out more code after only having been awake for 10 minutes, rather than later in the day. It generally works the first time, too!
My website! yodamanjer.com
My development blog! Follow me on Twitter! [twitter]jwg1991[/twitter]
 
Cornstalks
Cornstalks

Adding something nobody cited (How can you guys live without it??)
I incessantly check my e-mail. I work with different people on different projects + am still in colege, so e-mail is not what I lack on this life.

Ah, yes. I do that too. Uber frequently. Mostly I'm checking the FFmpeg mailing lists, as no one else usually emails me...
RLS0812
RLS0812
Am I the only one who requires it to be - quiet - ?
No music, no TV, no distractions.
I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.