Advertisement

In response to "Free Alternatives to the D20 system."

Started by August 13, 2012 05:56 PM
1 comment, last by Michael Woodard 12 years, 1 month ago
http://www.gamedev.n...the-d20-system/

I elected on using the Dominion Rules as mentioned in my announcement post. Has any one made progress in the adaption of PNP rules system to a computer game?

There's also an OSRIC rules-set I have heard of.

http://www.gamedev.n...gaming-license/

Here's another related conversation. WIzard of the Coast does allow games to be made by major studios. The assumption is they are paid by the licensee.

But there's a game out there called "D20 Pro" which doesn't seem to be licensee of Wizards and is still in business. ...?

DON'T REPLY TO THE THREADS LISTED. NEW REPLIES BELONG IN THIS THREAD!
Why not come up with your own? It is the least risky, and in my view, also the most fun.

Do you really want to tell people, "Look at me, I'm a copycat!", or would you rather announce "I made this awesome thing myself." ?

As for "D20 Pro", just because somebody is getting away with violations right now does not make it legal. Lots of drivers speed, only a few get pulled over. Generally the more flagrant the violation the more likely it will be noticed and shut down. We don't know their story; maybe they have an agreement, or maybe they are still undetected by Wizards. Whatever their situation, that's between those two groups.
Advertisement

Why not come up with your own? It is the least risky, and in my view, also the most fun.

Do you really want to tell people, "Look at me, I'm a copycat!", or would you rather announce "I made this awesome thing myself." ?

I don't see what's wrong with adapting when you're allowed to. Yes, creating new material is a grand idea. But if things are going to be derivative or be perceived as being derivative somehow. I think alot of Japanese RPGs borrow the same mechanics from each other....

But creating material whether it is new or an adaption takes hard work.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement