Original Post
I'm a self taught programmer, with a BS in 3d art and animation. I have a collection of flash games I've built, and I've spent the last year and a half learning c++, and opengl.
But, since I learned everything I know about programming on my own, I have no idea when I am qualified enough to realistically apply for jobs. I've picked up as much as I can on my own, about software development, coding standards, and such, but since I have minimal real world team development experience, its hard to say where I stand as far as my own skill level.
My target companies, would be small to mid range studios. Larger studios would be nice, but I think that might be a bit unrealistic. My question is, what are companies looking for in a portfolio, that displays competence from a self taught programmer? At what point is it a good idea to start sending out resumes and demo reels and the like?
But, since I learned everything I know about programming on my own, I have no idea when I am qualified enough to realistically apply for jobs. I've picked up as much as I can on my own, about software development, coding standards, and such, but since I have minimal real world team development experience, its hard to say where I stand as far as my own skill level.
My target companies, would be small to mid range studios. Larger studios would be nice, but I think that might be a bit unrealistic. My question is, what are companies looking for in a portfolio, that displays competence from a self taught programmer? At what point is it a good idea to start sending out resumes and demo reels and the like?