Original Post
Would I end up running in to problems down the line trying to make a simulation heavy game with python? am I stuck using c++?
If Python is fast enough to run Eve, it's fast enough to run a simulation game.
I'm not familiar with it but how much simulation is actually going on (and is it calling into optimized, native code to do the heavy lifting), and is it going on client-side or server-side?
python cant handle that much computation.
look at dwarf fortress. written in c++ still runs slow on high end machines.
Thank you for the responses
The project is in it's infancy, but I'm trying to make sure I start off on the right foot. I've never programmed something intensive enough for me to have to worry about the limitations of a language.
Any thoughts on SDL vs SFML for c++?
and for Python would Pyglet or Pygame be better?
So if you ever want to not be limited to one CPU core, you'll want to verify whether or not that's true today before you get too far with Python.
There is also Stackless Python, which if memory serves is what Eve uses, which can let use us multiple threads too.
if you can leverage optimized versions like CPython or IronPyhon
If I start going that route, why not just use c# directly then? I'm not the biggest fan of the Visual IDE and XNA, but I will go that route if it's very appealing. What sort of cross platform doors will be open to me if I do?
Assuming you're comfortable with both C++ and Python, then once you've decided on a language the standard answer is just to use whichever of you have the most experience with. SFL or SFML for C++, or Pyglet or Pygame for Python.
[/quote]
I think you meant SDL. ;)
But he's right in my opinion. You can write whatever type of game you want in what ever language you want. It's just up to you to make you that you are writing clean efficient code in order to avoid performance issues. I'm actually writing a full-scale 2D action RPG in Python with Pygame right now and though I'm not too far into it, I haven't run into any big issues regarding performance. I think the biggest set back with using Python/Pygame or C++/SDL is going to be the both SDL and Pygame aren't hardware accelerated, so it would always be a good idea to use an OpenGL wrapper for rendering so you can have hardware accelerated graphics. That's what I plan on doing, Pygame for user input, sounds and music, PyOpenGL for rendering, and Python as the main programming language because that's what I enjoy and am most confident in.
But I would just use whatever language you are more comfortable with and have more fun programming in. After all, is is supposed to be fun right?
This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.
With your permission, GameDev.net uses analytics cookies to understand how people use the platform. You can accept analytics or continue with necessary cookies only. Learn more