Original Post
Hey guise, I have been working on a Map Engine for my 2D RPG. The game takes place on an island, and a brand new random island each time you start a new game. So I wrote an Island Generator that produces maps that look something like this:

It's pretty easy to tell which areas of the map are deep/shallow water, beach, grassland, forest, or mountain. The map stores a 2D array of 'tiles'. Each 'tile' stores it's location on the map, the type of tile it is, etc. So now I want to be able to access each individual forest area from that 2D array.
There are six separate forest areas in the above picture. How could I access each area individually from the map? I'd like to do this so I can name each forest, make one or two haunted, or just play around with each one so they're each different from each other. It just makes the game that much more interesting if you understand what I mean. Any help is greatly appreciated. And for any of you who are interested in how I did the island generator, I have a blog post on what I did here, and the source code here under the downloads tab.

It's pretty easy to tell which areas of the map are deep/shallow water, beach, grassland, forest, or mountain. The map stores a 2D array of 'tiles'. Each 'tile' stores it's location on the map, the type of tile it is, etc. So now I want to be able to access each individual forest area from that 2D array.
There are six separate forest areas in the above picture. How could I access each area individually from the map? I'd like to do this so I can name each forest, make one or two haunted, or just play around with each one so they're each different from each other. It just makes the game that much more interesting if you understand what I mean. Any help is greatly appreciated. And for any of you who are interested in how I did the island generator, I have a blog post on what I did here, and the source code here under the downloads tab.
