Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Fullscreen mode not working with signle buffer

Started by MoHammaD_93 Aug 24, 2012 at 8:46 PM 7 replies 2k views
Original Post
MoHammaD_93
MoHammaD_93
My program is simple: Clearing screen with a color changing smoothly with time.

I'm using freeglut, and no drawing occurs while using glutFullScreen and GLUT_SINGLE together. (neither glFlush nor glFinish made it work)

A second phenomenon is that using GLUT_DOUBLE does my intended drawing but produces FLICKERING, even though I used delay functions after and before glutSwapBuffers.

The second case is also a problem that I need to solve.

.. thanks in advance ..
JTippetts
JTippetts
Might want to post some code so we can see what you're doing. Also...


even though I used delay functions after and before glutSwapBuffers.
[/quote]

... this statement makes me very uneasy. It makes me suspect you are doing something wrong; like, say, putting some kind of sleep() or busy-wait before and after swapping. Which probably isn't what you really want to do.
MoHammaD_93
MoHammaD_93


even though I used delay functions after and before glutSwapBuffers.


... this statement makes me very uneasy. It makes me suspect you are doing something wrong; like, say, putting some kind of sleep() or busy-wait before and after swapping. Which probably isn't what you really want to do.
[/quote]

well, of course that's not what I want to do. but it's somehow for error-investigation sake, that is, I wanted to make sure that the drawing commands are complete.



Here's my simple program:


#include <GL/glew.h>
#include <GL/freeglut.h>
#pragma comment(lib, "glew32.lib")
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

void display(void);
void reshape(int w, int h);

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
glutInit(&argc, argv);
glutInitDisplayMode(GLUT_SINGLE | GLUT_RGB);
glutInitWindowSize(1366, 768);
glutCreateWindow("Tests");
glutFullScreen();

if( glewInit() != GLEW_OK){
cout << "Failed to initilize GLEW" << endl;
return -1;
}

glutIdleFunc(display);
glutReshapeFunc(reshape);
glutDisplayFunc(display);
glutMainLoop();
return 0;
}
void display(void)
{
GLclampf c = glutGet(GLUT_ELAPSED_TIME)/300.0;
c = fmodf(c, 1.0f);
glClearColor(c, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT);
glFlush();
//glutSwapBuffers();
}

void reshape(int w, int h)
{
glViewport(0, 0, w, h);
}
MoHammaD_93
MoHammaD_93
!!people?? I need your help.
V-man
V-man
The code looks fine. It is probably some system issue. BTW, what OS, gpu are you using. Do you have the latest graphics drivers?
MoHammaD_93
MoHammaD_93

The code looks fine. It is probably some system issue. BTW, what OS, gpu are you using. Do you have the latest graphics drivers?


Yes, thank you. Your view is basically right, I didn't change anything on my computer though.

I tested the code on another PC and it went the way I want.

I'll work on getting my PC on the right path.

Thanks
l0calh05t
l0calh05t
Try glFinish instead of glFlush.

And why are you using single buffering in the first place? It is highly unlikely that you actually want that...
Erik Rufelt
Erik Rufelt
If you actually use a single buffer you can't swap, as you need two buffers to be able to swap one out with the other.

What type of flickering do you get with double-buffering?
I'm not very familiar with freeglut, but are you even supposed to swap manually, doesn't glut do that by default?
If so, you might be swapping twice per frame, which will likely cause a lot of flickering.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if fullscreen mode requires double buffering, which would explain why you can't use fullscreen single buffer.
V-man
V-man

If you actually use a single buffer you can't swap, as you need two buffers to be able to swap one out with the other.

What type of flickering do you get with double-buffering?
I'm not very familiar with freeglut, but are you even supposed to swap manually, doesn't glut do that by default?
If so, you might be swapping twice per frame, which will likely cause a lot of flickering.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if fullscreen mode requires double buffering, which would explain why you can't use fullscreen single buffer.


No, GLUT and also freeGLUT don't swap. You have to call glutSwapBuffers (in the case of double buffering of course).
In the case if single buffer, you must call glFlush. In any case, why use single buffer? It will give graphical gliches and flashing.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.