Original Post
Hi, I have a fairly rudimentary design question.
I've created an artificial landscape using the diamond square algorithm. Overall, I'm happy with it. I decided to use Triangles as the base polygon for rendering because they're the easiest to compute normals against.
I have a question about how to proceed concerning two factors:
1. Vertexes with local maximums in the height map "spike" as the higest vertex is the top of a triangle. I have these pointy bits in my landscape. It seems to me that the only ideal solution is to subdivide the polygons over any given set of vertices and apply noise to "weather" these spikes.
2. My vertices are seperated by one whole integer value (althogh they're rendered using floats.) When aplying a texture to polys with a lot of surface area (due to vertical relief) the texture is stretched. I once again expected this but would like some feedback on how to proceed.
I've attached a screenshot. This is with the roughness factor turned way up. I've only applied one texture so you can safely ignore that except for the stretching effects on the mountain and cliff faces.
If I divide a polygon into several smaller ones, what would be the ideal "depth" to achieve this?
Is there some other, better, method to map textures to polygons with varying surface areas? (I haven't seen anything like this, nor would expect to.)
There's no real code to show as this is basically a design question but would be happy to provide a sample if you'd like.
Thanks!
I've created an artificial landscape using the diamond square algorithm. Overall, I'm happy with it. I decided to use Triangles as the base polygon for rendering because they're the easiest to compute normals against.
I have a question about how to proceed concerning two factors:
1. Vertexes with local maximums in the height map "spike" as the higest vertex is the top of a triangle. I have these pointy bits in my landscape. It seems to me that the only ideal solution is to subdivide the polygons over any given set of vertices and apply noise to "weather" these spikes.
2. My vertices are seperated by one whole integer value (althogh they're rendered using floats.) When aplying a texture to polys with a lot of surface area (due to vertical relief) the texture is stretched. I once again expected this but would like some feedback on how to proceed.
I've attached a screenshot. This is with the roughness factor turned way up. I've only applied one texture so you can safely ignore that except for the stretching effects on the mountain and cliff faces.
If I divide a polygon into several smaller ones, what would be the ideal "depth" to achieve this?
Is there some other, better, method to map textures to polygons with varying surface areas? (I haven't seen anything like this, nor would expect to.)
There's no real code to show as this is basically a design question but would be happy to provide a sample if you'd like.
Thanks!